Akainu x reader | an Eye for an Eye

"Do you... remember when we first met?"

The calm seas stretched far beyond the eye, far beyond the island of Marineford where both your job and your house stood. You were leaning up at the window, eyes on what lay before you. The jolly playing of children and of siblings of marines and the like had died down, only a quiet buzz remaining.

All the houses were silent, the majority of lights off and everyone asleep. Your husband was behind you, arms crossed and still in his suit. He had only gotten back from work over in the headquarters building a few minutes ago. His eyes were on you the entire time as you stared out onto the island and sea before you.

You could see in the reflection that there was no cigar between his lips, he was truly at peace in his own home. It brought you a smile; even when anxiety was crawling through your body.

"Of course."

"What do you think you are doing?"

First day on the job and you were already being barked at by one of your superiors. Funny, he was called the red dog - how fitting.

You had stopped halfway through opening the door to the communications department, late at night when no one was around and no living thing was there. Except you and Akainu; Sakazuki, if you will. But you didn't dare call him by his name, although it was tempting considering the way you didn't respect him.

But truth needed to be covered.

Suddenly, you were pulled back by the back of your coat: sent flying into his chest as you tried not to make a fuss. You didn't dare look up, keeping your wide eyes on the door in front.

"What the hell are you doing snooping around here? Do you know how to tell the time, Lieutenant?"

Time to whack out the old excuses.

Your mind was running as you began feeling the cogs turning, a single bullet of sweat soaring down your temple. He let go of your jacket, spinning you around to face him. Whatever you did, you couldn't tell the truth.

"Sir, it appears we have lost connection to outer bases."

You managed to spare a glance up at him, catching your eyes on his dark ones. Oh, how you knew they had seen things you hadn't.

Although, you had seen things which he had not.

His lips were pressed into a firm line, the authoritative scowl on his face enough for even you to feel pressured. As much as you would like to pull your sword from your hip and brandish it at him, you simply couldn't.

"It is after hours for ones like you. Leave or I will have to put in a complaint with your unit's superior."

"You always had trouble to cause."

Sakazuki was being stern with you.

Though you may be married, the thought of your old habit of stepping out of line for reasons unknown to him still irritated him. He loved perfection within his workplace, even when that was an unattainable dream. He fought for absolute justice, something which you had learned to accept. He was the fleet admiral, someone you never thought you would fall in love with.

He was someone... you had lied to about your purpose.

"And you're saying there isn't anything else?"

You were aware Sakazuki would come home any minute now.

Looking over your shoulders every five seconds, you cupped your hand to the receiver in hopes that no one could hear you.