Kaku x reader | Human

It had been a week since you were caught up in an accident.

While on a mission to assassinate a wealthy family that paid their gratitude in money to Revolutionaries who help them escape their war-ridden country, you had accidentally gotten caught up in one of the chain explosions the Revolutionaries set. It was an unexpected happening, your shoulders and chest becoming singed from the impact as you proceeded to fall a good hundred feet off the cliff and far down below. If it wasn't for the soft sand lining the sea's edge, you probably would've died.

So much for being a superhuman.

Spandam scolded you like never before. Even when you were back on your feet, he called you to his office and took every opportunity to scream in your face - to kick at your shins as you gave him a blank look. The raw skin had healed over slowly, a scar which traced your left shoulder down to your hip was now permanently tattooed on your body.

Everything hurt as you sat up in bed; your knees drawn tightly to your chests as you rested your head upon them. There was no soft glow of the moon as the time ticked past midnight, just the same glaring sunlight which always infiltrated the island of Enies Lobby. It got boring, seeing the same broad daylight on the afternoon island. Sometimes, you reckoned you had blatantly forgotten what night even looked like from how long you had gone without seeing dark skies.

Your room was pretty boring. The walls were a bright white and so were your sheets - the flooring was carpet and white too. Within the empty place, the only thing which stood out other than your bed were the drawers on the other side of the room. One the surface, there was a bonsai sitting with a black pot; the only scene of colour on the canvas. It was the only thing you liked to do other than sleep when you were off duty, spending your time pruning it so that it stayed healthy. Jabra actually let you take it from his garden room, you secretly being pretty thankful as you couldn't move much in your state of healing so it was a nice thing to do.

As you were mulling in your own thoughts, you just caught the sound of a soft knock at your door. Your throat was so croaky from having not spoken in so long that you couldn't actually bring yourself to answer. If it was Spandam, he would've already begun to yell and barge in. If it was Jabra, he would just be asking you if you have alcohol from the other side of the door. If it was anyone else, it wouldn't be.

Except maybe him.

"I'm coming in."

There was a shuffle of the handle as it visibly pushed downwards, the catch clicking as a man no older than you stepped into the room. Your head was still rested on your knees as you gave him a quick glance before averting your eyes.

"(y/n)."

From under the bill of his black cap, where his square nose poked out, Kaku watched as you ignore his call. He was leaning up against the wall, both arms crossed over as his dark eyes scanned your stature. You weren't an overly joyous person in general, but the sight of your sad and tired body made him tilt his head.

"How are you?"

"Why would you care?"

Not hesitating, you huffed loudly at his monotonous question. Kaku stepped further into the room, wandering over to the bonsai tree on your dresser. He was trying to make it not seem so awkward; as light as it could be for two professional assassins, as casual as possible.

"I was just asking because no one has seen you for days."

You paused, taking a quick look over to see he was looking down at the perfectly cut leaves on the small ornamental tree. For once, a laugh bubbled sarcastically from your lips as the man turned at the sound.

"No one cares. If the director wanted me, then he would've come to get me already."

A sigh slipped from Kaku's lips as he turned to face you, eyeing the scar which licked your skin as you wore only a black tank top. There was a small silence as you both held a small gaze. Something which felt like an unfamiliar twinge rattled your heart, causing you to turn away.

"I do."

You felt the edge of the bed dip under Kaku's weight as he sat, back facing you. The smallest smile kicked at your lips as you lay back fully, your head on your pillow as you turned on your side.

"Kaku, we're assassins."

"Assassins, not heartless."

Momentarily, your eyes went wide as you took a glance over your shoulder and sat up: catching his gaze as he leaned back on his hands and looked at you. No one had ever dared say something like that, not in an organisation like this one. You swore you could see the ends of his lips curling up into a smile as he began to lie down, your heart rapidly beating as the unexpected happened.

It was so casual, but his head lay in your lap as he looked up at you. Someone who was just as tied in with their job as you were, someone who you were convinced also lost their sparkle long ago was now looking up almost... lovingly at you. His cap fell from his head, exposing his fair and short hair as you struggled to find words. You could only focus on breathing as one of his hands reached to touch your cheek, feeling the rough pads of his fingertips upon your soft skin.

"Can I sleep with you?"

You cheeks flared as you gave him a baffled look, moving your gaze with embarrassment. Kaku had also realised what he said, retracting his hand and sitting up. He flustered as he tried to find words, a hand rubbing his neck awkwardly.

"N-not like that. I meant can I take a nap with you, please?"

Trying not to lock eyes with him, you tentatively nodded your head. Shuffling over, you moved from the middle of your small bed over to the other side as Kaku swung his legs on top. You lay down, facing him but still with a blush as you tried not to connect your eyes with his. However, it was becoming increasingly hard to as he lay down too - wrapping his arms around your middle. Kaku pulled you closer so that you could hear the thump of his heart in his chest against your face.  He was so warm.

He was so human.

~~~

03.02.2021

Author's Notes

Hello!

I hope that everyone has had a good day. My day was completely chaotic and I am glad to be in bed, finally.

I really wish that all of you have the best day, and I will see you soon!

Cya

- TransponderSnail