Brook x reader | Accompaniment

"Who do you think you are?!"

Since the day you could walk on your own two feet, you were fascinated by pianos. From ones which were sleek, grand and jet black to ones that were rough, old and upright; you loved them all. Nothing was as mesmerising to you as the zebra keys of the instrument.

In your manor, which was large and grand, there was a piano which stretched eight foot and was the most beautiful ivory in colour. They keys were weighty and felt good under your fingers and the sound was rich and deep like that of honey or of syrup. Each day, you would sneak away to the parlour to play it: that was your happy place, the only place where you felt you could live. But there was only one problem.

You were the daughter of a Celestial Dragon.

"You!"

Your mother was loud and very condescending like a world noble was. She pointed her finger accusingly at a lady in a maid's uniform who bustled over obediently in a flash.

"Take the girl to her room and lock the door. Don't give her food for the rest of the night!"

Tears gathered in the corner of your eyes as you clutched at your silk dress. It was such a lovely item of clothing, yet your little fists caused it to crumple and wrinkle at the hem. The maid paused, looking between you and your mother with a frown.

"But my lady, Saint (y/n) only touched a piano-"

Suddenly, your mother whirled on her. She got close enough that the maid recoiled, almost looking as if she was now the one about to cry.

"I DO NOT CARE! THE ONES WHO ENTERTAIN AND THE ONES WHO PLAY ARE THOSE WHO LIVE TO SERVE! I WILL NOT HAVE MY DAUGHTER LIVE LIKE SCUM!"

Most people thought the piano was a privilege, a lucky thing to learn. But your mother? She thought differently. Her mind was so warped and so bent by the ineffable riches that even she thought instruments were a beggar's loot. Something only the poor played for attention, something she did not like.

"Ooh! Lookie!"

You rolled your eyes so hard that anyone who saw would be amazing they didn't fall out of your skull. Arms crossed over and brows knitted, you watched your crewmate by the name of Nami prance about a shop which had a large sale going on.

Money, money, money. It was one of the many things which pissed you off about the world as it was, that and the government the main victims of your spite.

"This dress would look lovely on you, (y/n)."

Robin wasn't quite as enthusiastic about shopping, but she still made an effort. There was a hand on her hip while the other pointed at a white dress which looked like it was made out of fine silk. She was only being kind, yet you felt uneasy whenever you saw white clothing. It only reminded you of the life which you lead before. The crew knew of your past, they didn't know of your bothers.

"Yeah, maybe not. Thanks, though."

Flashing her a lazy wave, you turned on your heels.

The lot of you had stopped at an island which was known for its tourism and shopping districts, although the majority of you weren't so bothered by the shopping aspect. It was a nice day, you weren't going to let the sunshine run away without you. With the Grand Line so temperamental, it was a privilege.

You swore you had only blinked before Nami came out of the shop with bags upon bags slung around her wrists; grin on her face. You could tell she had probably spent the money that was meant for all of you. What could you say, she liked shopping.