Coby x (male) reader | Apologies

Coby was someone you could easily describe as skittish. Even something as small as accidentally being late by one minute to a meeting or not keeping his posture in a salute made him feel anxious and, well, a little bit awkward. He was a conscientious young man; always looking to outdo himself and making sure he got everything done before anything else. Coby was the perfect example of a diligent marine, something which was greatly needed within the force. There was absolutely nothing stopping him from doing the best he could.

Well... maybe there was just one tiny issue.

Before arriving at headquarters for the first time, nothing at all close to love or crushes were on the pinkette's radar. Work was the ultimate goal and nothing was going to let him distract himself, was what he thought. What he thought right before his eyes landed on a certain Vice Admiral - you.

Coby had never had to question his sexuality so much in the space of two years.

Something about your height which had him short a good couple of feet and those muscles which showed under your rolled up shirt, poking out as you would cross your arms from under your marine coat, had him completely flustered when he saw you. You had an extremely handsome face - stone serious-looking on occasion yet with the subtle lick of teasing and cockiness to it.

The mop of (h/c) hair which was on top of your head always looked so nice, like he could easily run his fingers through it and feel each soft fibre under his touch. Your (e/c) eyes were always reminiscent of a true warrior, showing wisdom and stoic belonging in each glint. The young man never thought that his superior, both older and much more advanced in rank, would be the person who caused mayhem in his heart.

"Hey, Coby? Didn't you say there was a meeting later?"

Sitting at the desk in the office he shared with Coby, Helmeppo looked up from his work to flip up the calendar which was pinned against the wall. His eyes scanned the dates from behind his visor until his gaze landed on the day he was looking for. Coby looked up from his desk as well, placing a hand to his chin in thought before gazing out of the window at the docks below.

"Yeah, I did. It's about the Reverie, actually."

The blonde raised one eyebrow, pressing his hand into his cheeks with a sigh - his eyewear slightly slipping down his nose as he pondered.

"Damn, man. That must suck."

"Eh, well it's just long. That's all."

Coby shrugged, standing to his feet to swing his coat over his shoulders. The morning sun was rising over the sparkling seas surrounding New Marineford as Headquarters slowly got ready for the day. With a yawn, Helmeppo stretched out and looked back over to his friend with a cocked eyebrow. Coby caught on to his look and gave him a friendly smile.

"You coming to breakfast?"

With a dismissive wave, the blonde sunk further down into his chair as Coby walked to the door, waiting for him.

"Nah, I'm okay. I'll catch you later."

The corridors were usually pretty busy, marines rushing about to their usual position and getting to where the needed to be next. However, today it seemed like no one was around; the coast completely desolate. The only sound which Coby could hear was the click of his own work shoes against the cold flooring as he traversed the length of the hallway and down towards the stairs. Coby could hear the distant sounds of the cafeteria from where he stood, the room only just around the corner as he wandered along the bottom floor. A small smile was etched on his lips as he contently strolled, coming up to the final bend in the hallway.

"Y-yes, (y/n), sir! M-my apologies!"

Through his own thoughts, the young captain picked up a terrified voice which was drifting from around the corner. It wasn't unusual for some soldiers to be afraid of their superiors, but that wasn't what he had caught onto. What he did catch, was one name which made him abruptly spin on his heel without second thought and go back the way he came. The only thing on his mind was how quickly he could go back upstairs and try again later.