Kuma x reader | The Past

Within the rowdy and foolhardy crew known only as the Straw Hat Pirates, you were considered one of the calmer members. You loved you crew for who they were, each and every one of the never judging the next despite what their past or personality may be like. When one was down, the rest would always be there to pick them back up and onto their feet - helping them to overcome the struggles and hardships. But there was one thing that not one of your dear and beloved crew mates knew:

Your past.

From upon the tall manor which sat on the large and imposing island-like ship of Thriller Bark, there was a man. No less than twenty-two feet tall with one leg crossed over the other casually - a bible in his hand as he addressed the people below blankly. All was calm until Nami had mentioned seeing him previously and not long ago: all was calm until you began to change.

There were shocked expressions all around, in complete horror that a Warlord was so casually appearing when your crew had just dealt with one. Each member was frozen in their spot, not looking away as their eyes grew large. But you, you took steps back as you stumbled over your own feet; shaking your head as your breath went ragged. You thought you heard the call of your name come tentatively from Sanji's mouth as he turned to you, the others doing the same with complete worry. You weren't the most expressive person, often collected and blank. So for them to see the twinge of pain in your eyes as your blood began to boil past boiling point was something which caused concern.

"Long time no see, (y/n)."

Multiple sounds of confusion sounded from around you, the puzzling atmosphere becoming more potent as all eyes were in you. You clutched at your chest harder, feeling your brows dip in anger as you clenched your teeth. Each tear which began bubbling at your waterline threatened to spill as you gripped your other fist at your side.

"How... how..."

You attempted to steady your voice, shaking in anger violently.

HOW DARE YOU!"

Your nakama flinched slightly at the ripping yell which came deep from your throat. Kuma was unfazed as he didn't even so much as acknowledge you, just looking straight on.

"HOW FUCKING DARE YOU SAY SUCH A THING AFTER ALL THIS TIME, KUMA!"

'She... knows him?'

Sanji's eyes went wider than they already were, his thoughts clearly a common ground within the crew. You completely trembled with anger, your heaving breaths loud as each word you screamed held a pain like nothing heard before from you.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!"

Salty tears slipped from your eyes as you quivered with rage which ran your blood at one hundred miles per hour. Your nails dug half-moon cuts into your palm, causing the faintest hint of blood to spill from your hand as Chopper called out to you with concern. Each time you breathed, you could feel how scratchy your throat actually was. The words which couldn't properly form flowed erratically within your mind like caged bats as you burst.

"After ALL this time?"

The crew knew you weren't overly young, but they were surprised that the infamous man was tied in with your past. Never before had they ever seen anger from you, not even so much as a spark before flames.

Without warning, Kuma appeared not even a few meters behind you. Your eyes were darkened over and your crew got into defensive positions at the worrisome stature. He was far more than just tall, he was intimidating. The eerie silence which followed him sent shivers down many a spine. Even when he just raised one finger to point it down toward you, a few in your crew flinched.

"You act like this, but you still wear it."

The sudden weight of your necklace feeling as if it was emotionally pulling you down caused your eyes to grow wide, one hand to press to your mouth to keep the tears from spilling further. Nami watched in slight distress from beside you, watching as you gripped at the small chain which hung from your thin neck.

"Honestly, causing me more issues than I need."

Kuma was seated on the bench which was situated outside of your house, leg crossed over the other as his large bible sat on his lap open. You wandered around the cabin's porch in a huff, doing menial things such as sorting the washing and plants. It had been quite a few years since you last engaged in action, taking to a more quiet life considering you felt like you weren't up for the hardships which being a criminal threw at you.

"Are you even listening to me, Kuma?"

Walking around to face him, you stood with both arms crossed over your chest as you looked up to him. One foot tapped the ground as his blank eyes searched you mysteriously. You could only roll yours before poking him in the chest, humphing before turning your head away. Only a small sigh slipped the man's mouth as he shut his bible, placing it on the bench next to him before putting his hand on your shoulder.

"Don't get yourself worked up over nothing."

Shooting him a glare, you angrily puffed up your cheeks as the slight ghost of a smile twisted his lips. How could you stay mad at a man who was called tyrant yet was so soft? The tension in your face slackened as you let a sigh slip past your lips. Kuma moved over on the bench which was almost comically too small for him, letting you sit and lean comfortably into his side. You closed your eyes momentarily until the clink of light metal caused you to open your eyes. There, in front of you, was a small chained necklace which had a little cross etched into a tag. Your cheeks dusted in a blushed pink as you looked up at the man next to you, not so much as moving to meet your gaze.

"Thank you for staying, (y/n)."

Each tear felt wet against your cheek as you heard nothing but the thump of your own heart loud in your ears. The warmth from the kind memory came back, spreading throughout your body and clenching your heart. It had been many years, yet you seemed to feel the same way you did so long ago. Although it was sweet, the onlooking crowd was making you wish this all ended as you closed your eyes - trying to regain your calm.

"We shall leave this in the past. For now, what do you want?"

~~~

03.02.2021

Author's Notes

Tired.

I sleep now.

Goodnight you wonderful people!

Cya

- TransponderSnail