Luffy x reader | Some Truths Are Better Kept

Requested by JenaeLuv ! (Blackbeard's daughter as a reader)

There was this anxiety which turned you inside out. The white-hot yet ice-cold trickles of it were permitting your bones and tormenting your nerves. Along with the sensation of sinking came the feeling of a weight ten times that of a ship resting upon your chest. This feeling - no, these feelings - hadn't stopped ever since a certain someone first hopped aboard your captain's ship.

Everyone loved him right away, finding peace with his character and oddities. He, to them, was kind. He was handsome and he was outgoing, quite similar to your captain.

No surprise there, they were brothers.

But it was not because of how he acted nor was it the way he spoke, it was for reasons much more hard to express. Each time he would look at you and your eyes would, you would pale miserably; even if you tried to play it off with a smile. Each time he would speak to you, you felt your throat beginning to close up.

The cycle was never ending and you started to plead for it to stop, for him to go. Not because you were a rude and self-centred person who judged just by first glance, but because of something much deeper.

Something, which was that you reckoned he knew your secret, despite having never met.

The lot of you stood out in the open desert, looking on to the horizon. For what seemed to be an endless stretch, miles and miles, there lay heavy dunes of sand. Even when evening was rolling in, the atmosphere was still scorching. In the line of the scene, however, stood the very man you were happy to see leave.

Portgas D. Ace.

"Well, I think it's time I leave."

His eyes scanned over all of your group, yours trailing off so they could not meet. You practically hid behind your captain, using him as a human shield. It wasn't necessarily you top choice of defence, but it was what you had to do. Feeling the boy, the same age as you, so close was a little... daunting to say the least.

But that was the least of your worries.

"So, you going?"

Zoro piped up and smiled at Ace, the latter nodding and grinning away.

"Yep, I have things to do."

You knew exactly what he had to do, and you didn't know what to make of it.

Ace slung his bag over his shoulder, pulling his hat down with his free hand.

"It was nice seeing you guys, being my brother's crew and all."

His gaze still flickered between the lot of you, landing on your own. This time you had no chance to move yours away, being frozen in spot. You knew things would be more obvious if you let your shock evident, but you managed to play it off as you were smiling.

Once again.

"It's been nice meeting you too, Ace."

Thankfully Sanji came to your rescue and piped up, the smoke from his cigarette trailing up and into the air in little plumes. The dark haired man hummed and gave an appreciative nod, his hand settling on his hip.

"Yeah, it's been good getting to know you all."

For a second, you thought you were good. You let out a silent sigh of relief and closed your eyes, leaning lightly against Luffy's shoulders for support. He didn't mind much as he was such an touchy person himself, always going around hugging everyone.

When you smiled to yourself, happy he would now be leaving, you slowly opened your eyes. Where you expected to find the sands which stretched far ahead, you saw something different. Something which caused you to go as stiff as a board, a shiver of fear creeping down your spine.