Tashigi x (male) reader | Dead or Alive

"Dead or alive", that is what the posters said. She could've caught you, but that just never happened. She could've killed you, but she didn't raise her blade. Each time she would let you slip, each time you were hightailed out of a country she would let you simply run from her - but not this time.

This time was different.

The air in the room felt as if you were dwelling in a stagnant pond, thick and unmoving. Your hands, bound tightly, throbbed from how the glaring metal chains dug into your wrists. Where once was a sword at your side was now simply just empty belt loops; the ones for the belt which lay off to the corner along with everything that was once in it. Your face was rested peacefully, as if you were not bound by seastone and buried beneath cuts and bruises which were rugged against your strong muscles. Hair was falling in your face, covering your eyes ever so slightly as you tapped your foot against the metallic floor.

"You got me."

"I don't know why you are looking so proud of yourself."

For being such a nice woman, her snapping voice was foreign to your ears. Her arms which crossed over authoritatively felt like she was a mother scolding her child, her brows furrowed under the glasses on her forehead. Dropping her arms and scrunching up her fists, the eyes which always seemed to shine with so much delight darkened heavily.

"Proud? Never."

You could feel the eyes of her superior who happened to be stood by the door on your features, his steely eyes travelling the length of your body as smoke fluttered around in the air above him. Shuffling your chains, you slid further down the chair: legs parted comfortably as you hummed.

"Proud of you? Yes."

"I don't want your praise, (y/n)."

Smoker seemed to read the atmosphere between the two of you, saying a few muttered words of excusing as he left. The door clicked behind him, leaving both you and the young woman alone. Managing to look up through the blood and your hair which covered your dull eyes, you noticed how she worried at her lip.

"Tashigi, I-"

"No. Don't you dare say it. After all this time you spent running, why now?"

Tashigi's eyes clouded with tears, the lump in her throat itching to morph into a sob. The only way she stopped the sadness from rupturing out of her was the way her nails dug semicircles into her palms, callused by the way of the sword. The way of the sword which you knew well.

"Why now, after all of this time did you decide to get yourself caught?"

You could see her pain well, as if connected to you yourself; heart clenching slightly upon the gasp which tried to muffle her rushing tears. She took a few steps forward, almost unable to walk as she came close to you. Even standing, her height only just met yours as you sat on the chair.

Suddenly, her fingers clutched around the front of your shirt. You grunted in partial surprise at how she hauled you forward, her face inches from yours. Unlike the scars and ragged stubble which had grown on your chin, the blood and bruises, her skin was smooth and perfect; clean of imperfections. But those salted tears which flowed down her face told you a story of heart ache and of pain.

If you were able to, you would've placed your hand against her cheek, reassuring her and telling her all is okay. But those loving hands were bound - for you were a pirate and she was a marine. Hers were going white as her knuckles strained, fluctuating between tension and release as she contemplated her plans.

"I've risked my job just to see you, to let you go. To stay for one night or to let you hold me close, and you turn yourself in?"

Sobs turning desperate, your eyes covered with a frown on your features, each tear fell into your lap as she shook you lightly. She kept breaking further and further until her head placed against your chest; standing between your legs as she trembled.

"Why do you have to be a criminal, dammit!"

Your breath hitched, a tingling in your throat beginning to sting. Tashigi heard the noise, stepping back while her tears still flowed. But seeing you as you doubled over, she gasped loudly.

Crimson blood was spat out of your mouth with force: painting the flooring a nasty shade. She placed one hand over her mouth, watching how you tried to breathe through heaving breaths, your chains clunking together as you strained them. You coughed heavily, attempting to lean back up as she rushed to your side, alarming at how the ruby liquid trickled from the corner of your mouth.

"(Y/n)! A-are you oka-"

"You should've killed me..."

Tashigi's eyes went wide, your words low and struggling. Her hand was pressed to your back, tears once more crowding in her eyes as she waiting patiently for you to speak.

"People know of men who have stopped their journey because they fell victim to a disease, I'm going that way."

A solemn chuckle croaked out of your lips, turning into a quick cough. You slid your eyes sideways, meeting with hers which had tears begging to spill; her heart hurting like someone had pressed the blade of a sword within it.

"I'm going that way, Tashigi."

"No, no you aren't! There are people who can save you- there are doctors! We have doctors!"

Panicking, she looked towards the door. There was fear in her eyes, her glasses shaking with her head as she spoke with denial. Your heart rushed, pained to see her like that.

"Tashigi."

"Stay still, I'll-"

She stepped forward, going towards the door.

"Tashigi."

The kanji which displayed justice was clear on her back, on the coat which you had seen so many times. Each little thing reminding you of how different you both were.

"I'll just get someone, hey, Smok-"

"TASHIGI."

Turning on her heel suddenly, she watched as your teeth were clenched. You didn't want to get angry or shout, it only made you cough louder and cause more blood to pour from your lips. She had to run back over, lifting the sleeve of her coat. It came closer to your mouth, before you lifted your knee high enough to stop her action.

"Don't soil that coat. You are a marine, be proud to be a marine. No man, no doctor and no person in this place will help me."

She knew it.

Tashigi knew that was the case, yet still wanted to help. She could only watch as your blood stained your shirt, your chest and your dirtied skin. She wanted to wipe it from your features, to help you see and to help you breathe again.

"Dead or alive."

Your words caused her more pain than any failure, more pain than any wound. Each breath you took knew would possibly be within your last thousand. Her hands shook as she held your cheeks, gloves pressing into your bloodied skin as her tears created sobbing cries. A sad grin graced your lips, causing her to press her forehead close to yours, letting each cry become louder as she held you. How she fell for a pirate, she would never know. She also knew she would die for you, do anything for you to hold her one last time.

"... I will soon be dead."

Smoker heard it all.

The wails of his subordinate as she hugged you close. He could only close his eyes, feeling sorry for the woman. Even when he never said anything, he knew what you both were. He forced himself to push away from behind the door, striding down the corridor back to his office where he would wait out Tashigi's return.

'You said it yourself; Dead or Alive.'

~~~

15.03.2021

Author's Notes

Damn all my stuff has been so sad recently.

Also I think I need a break, I've pushed myself FAR too hard today. For statistics, I've done 10,000 words worth of writing today and I'm WHACKED.

But for now, I hope you enjoyed this!

I will be back for more soon!

Cya

- TransponderSnail