Luffy x reader | From the Background

So much is happening in this I'm not sure if I like it at all but... here!

"Will you still call me nakama?"

As your ship pulled from the arid shores of Alabasta, you raised your hands high in a fist; a silent salute of friendship. The princess stood at the edge of the sea, crying tears as salted as the waters below. A smile graced your lips, wide and happy as you glanced sideways at your captain.

'You've helped someone, Luffy.'

"I WANT TO LIVE!!"

The one you called nakama as she stood at the edge of the balcony high above the abyss-like waterfall screamed her heart out. Your captain had that grin on his face, the one which everyone felt safe around. You turned to look at him, eyeing the sparkling teeth which were exposed in his gesture; a proud and strong look on his features. Even just watching him made your smile stretch.

'You've saved someone, Luffy.'

"(Y/N)!"

Usopp screamed your name as you had dashed after Zoro, the man who you just watched disappeared in front of your eyes. Tears threatened to stream down your smooth cheeks, teeth clenched as you ran at the warlord you knew you wouldn't be able to take down. You could only try.

Kuma raised his hand to you just as you had cocked the barrel of your gun towards his head; hand trembling against the trigger. You couldn't hear your nakama screaming your name, everything going black as his pad connected with your body.

'I'm sorry, Luffy.'

"Franky!"

Suddenly, the blue haired man let out a surprised grunt. He was conversing with Nami and Robin, the others who were there too, when you unexpectedly barrelled into him at top speed. You were laughing loudly as he hugged you back, pulling away so you could knock over Usopp and the others in a hug.

"Guys!!"

There was a shout as you looked to the sky. Something strange like a bird caught your eye, but then the sparkle of a certain man's smile caused you to light up. The crew went crazy as they noticed their captain, excited beyond words to see him; you standing to the back of the crowd.

'We missed you, Luffy.'

The princess, bigger than anyone you had seen before and far more shy than any person you met was thanking you. Thanking you all, your captain too. Shirahoshi smiled as did Luffy, sharing a sparkling gaze which left you proud of the man who always helped out. Nothing made you happier than watching Luffy beat boundaries and help others, it was like watching a man doing god's work.

'You're beyond kind, Luffy.'

It had been done.

Doflamingo had been taken down after all the events which had ripped havoc within the land of Dressrosa. The sun seemed to shine brighter and the scent of sunflowers was permeating the air around you. How the girl which your captain saved clung to him, hugging him with tears in her eyes.

"Lucy, thank you for saving our country."

"No worries!"

He was always so humble, it was something you admired. Even when you sat a good few yards away, you noticed how Rebecca held him and showed him how much his deed meant to her. The smile on your face was small, the breeze ruffling your hair from under the train driver's cap you were wearing.