AU | Kid x reader | More Sleep, More Crime

My first and only AU, considering I don't actually like them. But I had an idea, so let's go!

You thought that sleeping in your bed, face pressed into the pillows comfortably, would've been an easy task to complete. But between both the hard partying going on in the next door apartment and the erratic buzz of your phone, it was becoming a bit of a challenge. To be completely honest, it was really your fault for choosing to buy a flat in one of the more student-centric parts of the city.

With a frustrated groan, you reached over and began to feel about beside your bed. The phone was on the floor, having you hanging half off your bed on your front. After the first call had rung out and the second started back up due to your slow reactions, your fingers finally found the device and you lazily accepted the call and pressed the speaker on.

"(Y/n), where the hell are you?"

A rather annoyed and gruff voice sounded from the other end, the speaker clearly irritated and impatient beyond belief.

"In bed."

Muttering into your hand equally as agitated with a yawn, you picked up the phone and rolled onto your back; eyes tracing the ceiling's little nicks and marks. There was a sigh loud enough for you to roll your eyes, your only thought being when in the world would you get a break.

"Get up, there's an issue and you and I are the only ones in the area who can get there quick enough."

"Just lemme go back to sleep, Smoker. I'm pretty sure Koby is in the area, I'm off duty."

You could feel your eyelids being dragged down by the weight of exhaustion, the dark bags practically visible under your eyes. But there was no stopping the man as he became louder, practically seething into the phone.

"Sometimes I don't know why you became a cop, get with it!"

Letting out a massive exhale, your head lolled lazily to the side - eyes catching on your uniform which was hung up. You hauled yourself to a stand and grabbed your car keys off of your nightstand and rubbed your eyes.

"Rodger that."

You were pretty pissy about the fact that time didn't even allow you to make a coffee, already behind the wheel as you sped off down the main streets of the city. Each yawn felt more dragged out as you kept your tired eyes on the road, unbothered as you watched regular drivers pull over to allow your unmarked car and its glaring lights to pass. When you had first gotten the job, the sirens annoyed you. Yet you had become so accustomed to the sound that it no longer irritated you.

"Took you long enough."

As soon as you slammed the door of your vehicle shut, the potent smell of cigar smoke filled your nostrils. Your co-worker, a very impatient and straightforward man, was stood with his arms crossed at the front.

"I could've slept on, but I didn't."

Glancing at him, the man scoffed over the chirp of your car locking. Smoker gave you a look of warning, looking you head to toe before turning his back. You awaited his call, leaning up against your car with your thumbs rested in your belt loops. Your eyes happened to slid up to where smoke was billowing from behind a large building, returning your gaze to see that the man was looking at the same thing.

"That was a car theft that ended up in a crash,"

You strolled along slightly behind him as he began to moved towards the scene, smoke pouring into your face to which you wafted it away with your hand.

"A few people who happened to witness the crash said that they didn't see who was driving. So,"

Smoker glanced over his shoulder to see that you were clicking the safety catch off of your pistol which hung from your belt. He knew you already realised what he was going to say, especially as you power walked in front of him with certainty.