Rosinanté x reader | Loose Thread

"You... what?"

Doflamingo, from the moment that you joined his family, had mentioned that his brother was a mute. He would tell you that he didn't talk because of an "incident". The feathery man was always adamant that you stay away from his brother, saying that his clumsiness would kill you and that he was to get on with his "work".

Yet one day Rosinanté, or "Corazón" as you should say in your line of work, approached you; the young boy the Doflamingo had taken in by his side. The three of you stood in a street which was void, branching off a main road which distracted from your presence. You had always noticed that Rosinanté was always around the young Law, but didn't question their being. At least not until you were told what was going on - from Rosinanté's very own mouth.

"I am going to take Law away from here."

Your gaze slid from the young boy to the older man, mouth slightly open in shock as your eyes widened momentarily. Law was stood with his arms crossed over, looking as angry and childish as ever next to the tall man who was seated on a crate.

"... how are you expecting to do that?"

The smoke from the man's cigarette curled into the air, for once he had managed to light it without setting himself alight. His eyes closed as he leaned back against we wall.

"Doffy won't question me."

"So... you're leaving?"

Rosinanté seemed as if he was trying to avoid your gaze, looking everywhere but you; onto the small boy who was pouting and looking angrier than ever. You too would be angry if you had an incurable disease.

It was silent around you; a pin dropping would be like a bomb going off. That was because of the devil fruit you learnt that the blonde had. You wouldn't say you were close with the man, but he was the only one who ever smiled at you. The only one who made you laugh and the only person you liked within the "family".

"Yes."

Your fist gripped lightly as you watched him be so calm across the alley from you. There was no way you could live with Doflamingo, alone. There was no way you could watch Rosinanté leave and not say anything. So for the time you had left with the two, you made sure to spend every moment with Rosinanté.

For the first few days since the conversation, you had ended up making an effort for him. Bringing him drinks, cooking for him, smiling a lot brighter - it was even beginning to weird out some of the family members. You NEVER cooked before, NEVER made drink for anyone and definitely did NOT smile like you were doing. It was a complete baffle to them, watching as you would write notes to talk back and forth with Rosinanté.

Law would also get you treatment, drink and food and whatever he wanted when you were out, you brought him. You swore that once you could see a little smile. Rosinanté was grateful to you for letting Law ease back into a stability, even if the young boy was still rude and angry. It was like a small family within a pseudo-family, but you knew this time would not come to last.

You thought you could stay strong when Rosinanté left, but that was a terrible lie to believe. Away from your work life, when no one was around, you would cry softly each and every night. Doflamingo was an observant man, so you had no doubt he was able to sus out the relationship with you and his brother. The one thing he didn't know, was that you were in on the plan.

But there was nothing that hurt more than watching the deep blood of your lover as it fell onto kind and white snow. No sound came from your lips, not even as the tears ripped your features ragged. But when Doflamingo practically dragged you back to Spider Miles, you were kicking and screaming. If there was one man you hated then, it was Doflamingo.