Smoker x reader | Nine A.M.

"You bastards are absolutely fucking nuts..."

Your eyes were boring a hole through the door of your office as you seethed under your breath. The poor coffee cup clenched in your fist was about to be subject to an unceremonious crack, one that soon spidered up the side of it. The room was cold, putting just that much more of a dampener on your already-sour mood. Honestly if anything else happened to piss you off, you would raise hell.

It was only eight-thirty a.m.

In an attempt to calm your boiling blood, you glanced out of the window sat next to your desk. Through the cracked glass, which had only been patched together with a slither of packing tape, you could see the ocean as its waves bobbed up and down on the horizon. Your focus shifted from the water to the crack, eyes rolling with force that could easily pop them out of their sockets.

This damn base was a stark contrast to the Marine headquarters. Unlike headquarters, it was a mess. There was no order, no discipline. Unlike headquarters, the building was hanging together by what seemed to be literal fucking planks of wood and sloppy plaster jobs. Unlike headquarters, the people were so aggravatingly piss-taking that it made you want to commit mass murder and have your qualifications revoked. Unlike headquarters, this was the hell known as the Grand Line Fifth Branch - better known as G-5.

"I'll give you one more warning, Captain,"

There was a rather accusing finger thrust in your direction, your eyes glaring at the appendage like you wanted to snap it in half.

"Before I'll send you away."

"Bet."

You growled, the word barely audible.

"Excuse me?"

Next thing your superior knew, you were all up in his face and simply not a happy bunny. The man felt a small twinge of frustration, unwilling to become subject to your rudeness.

"I said you. Wouldn't. Dare."

But much to your irritation, he rose above your claim, literally. He stood a good foot above you, arms crossed with authority as he looked down his nose at you.

"(L/n), I follow through with my word,"

He paused, glaring daggers into the top of your head as you stubbornly refused to meet his eye.

"And I'll make sure that you learn from your mistakes the hard way."

You spat at your desk, shoving a boot-clad foot at the edge to send it veering forwards with an ear-piercing screech. When he said the "hard way", you didn't think that he meant G-5. Sure, you didn't heed his warning, but you thought this was too much of a punishment. At least you were learning from your wrongdoings, slowly but surely.

"Do you reckon they have saké or rum down in the store rooms?"

"Nah, I think ya would be 'ard pushed to find anything decent. Smo-san made sure to move the booze elsewhere, said we were doin' too much drinkin', not enough workin'."

Two voices came crescendoing towards your door, reaching their loudest as they passed it. Your office's threshold was slightly ajar, and you could make out the figures of two men as they walked on by. Simply seeing these subordinates, not wearing uniform and being the unruly fucks they were, tipped you over the edge. You also thought they were weird to be looking for alcohol at this hour, strange buggers.

It was only eight-forty a.m.

"Whaaaat? I didn't hear about that-"

"Clearly what you didn't hear was me the other day when I said "wear your fucking uniforms"."