when life was beginning, i saw you

summary: how tom first met you while working late at the university library.

warnings: like one swear & y/e/c = your eye colour

heavily inspired by the song "when life was beginning, i saw you" by henry jackman, from the cherry soundtrack.

Stepping out of highschool & heading to university was a big change. it was hard, having to start from the bottom & work your way up until you finally get to have a degree & get a job... only to do the same thing but in a slightly different way.

tom just didn't see the pleasure in it. living everyday the same & doing the same thing for basically the rest of your life. he was now a junior in university, studying the art of filmmaking & he enjoyed it. he had a passion for it yes, but the intent to do it for his whole life— absolutely not.

besides attending his classes & studying for tests or working on assignments, he had a job so he could make some money & not live off his parents's bank account for his whole life. he worked at his school's library in his free time instead of catching up on much needed sleep.

he would stack up the bookshelf's, rearrange the books that weren't in proper order, help out at the front desk & sometimes do some light reading while on the job. it was boring, but it paid decent money & he kind of liked getting the chance to be out of his stuffy dorm room that he shared with an annoying guy named carl.

carl just gets on his nerves & since tom has a short fuse— a very short fuse, the two only ever bicker & roll their eyes at one another. carl was also a political science major & had very different views on issues than tom, which made it even harder to live with him. so the library was an escape for him to be in some peace.

he was the only one who worked at the library other than his boss, ms. welling. she was an odd lady, but she loved old film & television so she got along with tom quite well. even though she was kind of a "bitch" most times, as other like to put it.

it wasn't the dream, but it made him cross paths with you. he was working late, around 8:30pm when the front door opened. the library was quiet & ms. welling had already left for the day, so it was just tom at the front desk. he didn't notice at first who came in because his ear buds was blasting music too loud & he was too caught up in reading "to kill a mockingbird" by harper lee.

it wasn't until he heard a loud smack emit from the stone flooring that he quickly took his ear buds out, flinching as he did so. when he looked up with confused eyes, he didn't expect to see you picking a hardcover book from the ground & heading over to him at the counter with a playful smirk.

he just couldn't help to think how he thought you were pretty, really pretty. the way your hair suited your features, how your coat had intricate patterns that he wasn't accustomed to seeing much, how your smile was gorgeous & how your eyes were the perfect shade of y/e/c. he was in total awe of you.

"you seemed really into the book & i couldn't get your attention, so that's why i... did that. called your name like ten times" you explained, making him let out a nervous chuckle.

fuck, he liked your voice too.

"s-sorry about that" he apologized, fixing his posture in the wheely- chair he sat in & turned on the computer in front of him.