reunited

summary: visiting arvin in cincinnati didn't go the way you expected it to, but you wouldn't change it for the world.

warnings: swears, little angst

You haven't seen arvin in what feels like forever, but it's only been a year & you still remember the day he came to your home early in the morning with a note for you in his pocket.

"i want ya to read that before you head on to bed tonight, alright?" he asked you, making you nod as you took the note from him.

"where are you-"

"leaving town for a while, i'll be just fine. take care of ya' self for me" he told you before kissing your cheek, turning around & walking to his car.

you stood there speechless, not knowing what to say. you remember the way he looked at you before driving off. he looked guilty & upset, his eyes looked unsure of what he was doing. but he still drove off & left.

you heard about what happened with reverend teagardin & officer bodecker, everyone from coal creek to knockemstiff knew about the deaths. as well as bodeckers sister named sandy & her man carl.

you heard all the awful things people said about arvin & how they were trying to find him, hurt him & what not. but you were still hopeful that this could've been a misunderstanding. you were sure your best friend didn't mean harm.

but you couldn't find out anything since you didn't have any idea where he was. you thought he'd be in knockemstiff but he ain't there from what the town's folk have said. so you were left in the dark.

until you received a letter addressed to you that was sent from connecticut.

dear y/n,

it's arvin. i wasn't sure if you'd want to hear from me or not after everything, but i just wanted to see how you've been. i've missed you a lot over the last while & i'd been thinking, you could come visit me. i can't come back to coal creek, for reasons. but i'll explain everything to ya if you come. take the train, it'll be easier that way. write me back. don't tell anyone that you got this from me.

i'm sorry for everything bug.

- Arvin

half of you was happy he contacted you after all this time, you missed him. but the other half was scared & unsure if you should go see him. what if everything is true & he is a criminal? what if he was innocent? you wouldn't know until you'd talk to him.

you eventually wrote him back, saying that you'd come see him but he'd have to tell you everything about what happened or else you'd leave. you needed him to be honest with you, especially after everything that happened within the last year.

so you packed your bags with enough clothes for a few weeks & headed to the train station, not telling your parents or anyone else in town you were leaving. it'd be easier that way & no one would really care that you were gone, you were an outsider like arvin anyways.

the train ride up to connecticut was awfully long & the seats were uncomfortable, but luckily you arrived in one piece. you felt uneasy as you sat down on one of the benches in the train station while you waited for arvin to show up.