it get's better

it's been a year since tony stark died. a whole year. it's been filled with sadness, a summer filled with chaos & more mourning. peter has been taking everything in the past year really hard & you could see it. especially everything that happened after europe, he was losing his hope & his motivation.

& you helped fix that. you helped him get back to patrolling, going to the tower to visit & train with the others, spending time with pepper & morgan & working on his mental health. of course may, ned, mj & the other avengers helped with the whole recovery process, you were the main person in peter's eyes.

he couldn't have gotten back to his old self without you & he wanted to thank you for everything, so he prepared a speech for you that he was gonna day infront of everyone at tony's remembrance party tonight. to say he was nervous was an understatement. he wanted this to special, after everything you've helped him through.

"peter! y/n! welcome!" steve said as he opened the doors to the avenger's tower.

"hey cap" peter said as steve patted his back, giving you a small hug before leading you guys to the kitchen.

there were pictures of tony everywhere, each telling a story behind it. his favourite foods were surrounding the counters as the whole crew took pieces from each platter, chatting away. you gave peter's hands small squeeze as he stopped suddenly. he looked at you with a nervous look on his face, his hand starting to shake in yours.

"pete, it's okay. they're your friends. let's go talk to them okay? i know what your feeling right now, take some deep breaths for me" you said calmly as peter closed his eyes & did what you said, seeing him calm down.

"there you go pete" you kissed his cheek & lead him over to morgan who sat by the island, talking with scott.

"uncle peter!" morgan yelled, a smile spreading on her face. she jumped into his arms as peter held her tight, kissing her head.

"hey mini stark, you got anything cool to show me? your mom told me you've been playing with some gadgets she gave you & your a pro with them?" peter asked her which made her eyes light up, making your heart swell.

you didn't get to grow close to tony, but you could tell that his daughter was definitely a clone of him.

"oh yeah! momma said i can show you later or on the weekend when you come over. one can shoot lasers? i think that's what they're called but she doesn't know that... don't tell her please petey" she said, whispering the last part which made peter laugh at the girl.

"i promise you i won't say a thing. also, do you remember y/n?" he said turning to you.

"you came over & played dress up with me once i think! i remember!" she smiled at you & wanted to give you a hug, you of course accepted it & smiled as he held you tight.

"ya know, my dad used to talk to me about how he thought you were good for uncle pete. he really liked you, because you made pete happy" she whispered to you, making you start to try to stop tears coming out of your eyes.

"your dad was the sweetest man morgan, intelligent too" you said as you looked at her, both of you smiling.

"dinner is ready!" pepper said as everyone gathered around with their plates to eat.

• ~ •

after everyone finished eating, everyone decided to share one of their favourite memories they shared with tony & why it was their favourite. you & peter were the last two people to go.

"well... i didn't get the chance to get close with tony. i wish i could've. but one of the best memories i had with him was when i came to the tower one day to see peter since he was staying the weekend there & tony invited me to stay the afternoon after i hangout with peter for a while. later that day he brought me down to the lab & taught me how to use some of the new gadgets he was making. they weren't super powerful or anything, just prototypes. but the one thing i won't forget is when he asked me if i wanted to put a special system in peter's new suit he was gonna make him. i said yes, but it was never finished. he was so thoughtful..." you said, grabbing peter's hand. he looked at you shocked, not knowing tony did that, it made his heart hurt more.

"so um, mr.stark was... was everything. he was like... a second dad to me i guess. he believed in me when no would but he gave me a hard time sometimes, trying to help me learn to become better. one of my favourite memories with him was when i came back after the snap & the huge fight with thanos broke out. while i was doing my thing i saw mr. stark on the ground & i immediately swung over to him. i was rambling to him because i was so relieved to see him & he just... hugged me. he hugged me tight & it made me feel like everything was gonna be okay again. i'm never gonna forget that hug" peter said as his eyes began to water, biting his lip from crying.

you just pulled him for a side hug as everyone started to have their own conversations again. when you were speaking with steve, peter said he was gonna get some fresh air so he headed outside for a while. you just kept talking with steve for the rest of the hour.

"you wanna go check on him? he's been gone for a while" steve said a she put a hand on your shoulder.

"yeah i'll go" you replied, giving him a small smile before heading over to the door peter went out of.

"peter?" you asked as you saw him sitting on the steps of the large stairs.

"i'm here" he replied, his voice fragile.

you walked down the steps till you reached him, seeing his eyes bloodshot. you didn't say anything but kiss his forehead & wipe his tears.

"i don't understand why your out here, wiping my tears y/n. go back inside" he whispered.

"i'm out here because i care about you peter. i need to make sure your okay & i hate seeing you like this. i hate to see you cry" you said as he looked at you.

"you've been here for me through everything. you've answered my phone calls when i had a nightmare about mr. stark's death or if it was about beck & how he hurt you & me. you always came over everyday to check on me, on weekends you'd bring me my favourite order from delmar's. you'd hold me close & tell me that you weren't gonna leave me & you never did. you'd help me with homework when i did want to do it, you'd come with me to my therapy sessions & hold my hand. you'd come along on mission's but stay in the jet & just wait for me. you could've been hanging out with your other friends but... you stayed with me" peter grabbed your hand & smiled.

"i never thanked you enough for everything that's happened in the past year. if i didn't have you... i don't think i'd be able to deal with everything on my own. you mean so much to me y/n, thank you. i love you" peter looked at you & saw tears streaming down your cheeks as you sniffled.

you hugged him, so tight. you never wanted to let him go.

"i love you peter" you whispered in his ear.

"it does get better, doesn't it?" you asked him as your forehead leaned on his.

"yeah, it does" he whispered, kissing you softly.