i'll see you around (nwh spoilers)

"what can i get for you?"

peter didn't realize he was staring at you for more than a few seconds until he un-zoned out. muttering a sorry & shaking his head, he looked up to the menu on the wall & tried to decide what to get. but he couldn't help but think of you, right in front of him, with your work uniform on & your hair up in a messy ponytail. you looked beautiful & he wish he could just kiss you.

but he couldn't, that's what hurt the most.

"i'm peter parker & i'd like a coffee please" he said confidently to you, making you chuckle at his awkwardness.

you could tell he practiced before this.

"sure. one coffee for peter parker, coming right up" you told him with a small smile, walking away from the cash register to the back to get another coffee filter.

when picking the correct filter for the machine, you felt a tingle go up your spine which caused you to stop your movements.

"peter parker..." you mumbled to yourself so only you would hear.

for some reason that name... it meant something... it felt like it did anyways. you just couldn't put your finger on it. shaking your head to get rid of those thoughts, you headed out of the back & belined for the coffee maker.

"excited for MIT? i-i heard your friend mention it" peter said to you, making you look up at him.

"wait... did you attend an MIT mixer or something? you seem familiar..." you questioned him, but he sadly shook his head.

"oh, i'm excited yeah. it should be fun" you quickly said, smiling again once the coffee was done pouring from the machine into the travel cup.

"$2.50" you said to him once you were right in front of him again, seeing him quickly fish coins from his pocket to pay.

"here" he said, putting the coins in your hand with a small smile, his fingers touching yours.

you both froze at the contact & your eyes flickered from your hands to eachothers faces. but before you could say something he pulled his hand away & muttered a sorry, like he did earlier. opening the cash register, you tucked your hair behind your ears & accidentally gave peter the view of your scar on your temple which was covered with a bandaid. his eyes went into shock at seeing that because he knew how you got it & you didn't.

"you okay?" he asked you, chasing you to look up & see him gesturing to his temple.

touching the bandaid with your hand, you said, "i'm okay yeah, it doesn't hurt much anymore. nothing a little polysporin can't fix"

peter nodded his head at that & waited for you to put the lid on the coffee cup & you handed him a sleeve for it.

"is there anything else i can help you with?" you asked him, seeing him still standing there with a hard to read expression.

but peter felt his eyes begin to water despite his brain telling them not to. he couldn't tear his eyes away from you. he was still holding the piece of paper he brought with him which had everything he wanted— he needed to tell you & he just closing bring himself to read from it. he just couldn't, even though he wanted to. taking a deep breath & sighing, he put up a front & acted like he was okay.

"no" he told you with a short smile, putting the paper in his back jean pocket before taking the warm coffee cup into his hands.

"thank you. i'll see you around" peter told you before turning away & walking out of the store, letting his tears fall when he was out of your sight.

you watched him leave the cafe & head down the street. you felt your heart strings tug once he was out of your sight, causing you to sigh. with your hand moving from the counter to the broken charm of your necklace, you played with the remaining pieces of the flower petals. the feeling of the coloured glass on your finger tips distracted you from whatever you felt when he left.

"y/n? you okay?" mj asked you, standing next to you as she refilled the blueberry muffins & the chocolate chip cookies on the stand behind you after watching you act different than earlier.

"y-yeah i'm fine," you said, glancing one last time at the door before getting back to work.

***

you were exhausted now. it was 8pm & you finally got off your 7 hour shift, meaning you were free to relax back at your apartment. you felt yourself become more sluggish while making your way up 5 flights of stairs since the elevator was broken— which was great for your convenience— & you ached to shower & go into your warm bed. but as you finally made it to your apartment door, you heard annoyed muttering coming from a few doors down.

& when you looked, you felt your back shiver & your hands grow clammy.

"peter parker? coffee guy?" you questioned in confusion, seeing him look up at the sound of your voice & look at you with shock & then realization.

"hey" he responded, nervous since he didn't know what to say.

peter didn't expect this at all. he completely forgot you were going to move into this apartment complex. this was gonna be harder for him than he thought.

"new to the building?" you questioned, walking slowly over to him with your keys in hand.

"just moved in yesterday. rents not bad so... i took it" he replied, giving you a small, friendly smile.

you stayed silent for a moment when your eyes drifted to his shirt. it had a taxi on it with a stupid saying about new york.

but it looked familiar.

"peter what are we going to do?!"

"we um— we gotta close the windows & call ned & tell may & happy &... i don't know"

"you gotta take off the suit" you said worried & anxious, pressing the spider in the middle to make the suit expand & drop to the floor— revealing peter in a pair of boxers.

"peter is everything okay—"

"happy! get out!" peter screamed at the man, webbing the door shut before throwing on an old shirt from when he lost the 'stark internship'.

"c'mon. we'll be okay, right?"

"i don't know y/n"

"you okay?"

blinking rapidly, you nodded your head & apologized for zoning out, blaming your state on your long shift while trying to push pass whatever your brain just showed you.

"well, i uh— i should be getting ready for bed. early shift in the morning" you told him, causing peter to hum & nod his head.

you were walking away from him when you heard him mutter under his breath:

"i love you"

you told yourself you heard him wrong or you were imaging things, so you made it to your door & turned to him.

"see you around" you smiled, entering your apartment & closing the door.

when peter heard the door lock, he let out a deep breath & went into his apartment, feeling his body slide down the back of the door onto the floor. he let the tears flow freely as he held himself close, labouring breaths while trying to calm down.

he didn't realize how hard things were going to be now that the one thing he's ever wanted was so close, but the wasn't sure he'd ever get it.

he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get you back.