smoking confessions

summary: you tell arvin how you feel about him after dinner & things between you two change

warnings: swears, smoking

You stood on arvin's front porch, fiddling with your locket as you looked out at the sunset. it wasn't as gorgeous as the ones from the day prior but it was something to help distract you from your thoughts.

arvin had asked you at school if you were up to spend some time with him tonight, without lenora, his grandma or his uncle around. you said yes of course & he told you to be over by seven. you came, you helped cook some food for the both of you & you felt that tonight would be special.

secretly, you were hoping arvin would tell you he liked you back. but it was a long shot, you knew that very well. he was a troubled boy, but there's a caring & fragile side to him that you fell for. even though you & arvin are just friends, it feels like it could be so much more.

he holds your hand sometimes, places a hand on your lower back if your walking in town or at church, he compliments you & gives you a jacket when your cold. you help him with school, you stay with him if he needs someone to talk to & you always comfort him.

for instance, he was looking at your adoringly while you were cooking & it made your heart race. you felt a connection but you doubt yourself every now & then, especially when pretty girls from school talk to him & call the house— which had just happened.

genevieve goodall— a sweet & pretty girl from your school had called while you were eating & she talked with arvin for a bit, making him laugh & smile. you went the jealous type, but sometimes it just got to you & chipped at your confidence.

so after the food was done he was still on the phone, he barely spoke a word to you. so you quiet left the table & headed outside to the porch, trying to calm yourself down.

"your just overreacting y/n..." you mumbled to yourself, shaking your head as your eyes trailed to your shoes.

it sure was cold & you wished you had brought a blanket or a coat with you, but you could handle it. the front door soon creaked open & you heard arvin's footsteps come closer to you until he was at your side. he grabbed a cigarette pack from his pocket & his lighter so he could have a quick smoke.

"why'd you leave?" he asked you as he exhaled the smoke, looking down at your face.

"you seemed busy on the phone with genevieve so i came out here to give you both some privacy" you said, looking away from your shoes to the trees.

"she was just asking some stupid questions for a project, nothing special" he said, making you nod your head.

"you sure nothing wrong?" he asked before taking a drag of the cig, making you face him.

"there is something, but it's no big deal. just go back inside & i'll come clean up in a minute" you told him, shivering slightly.

he was about to take off his jacket for you because he noticed your arms were filled with goose bumps, but you shook your head 'no', making arvin furrow his brows.

"you can tell me what's wrong ya know. it don't seem like it nothing" arvin said, placing a hand on your shoulder to comfort you, but you shook it off.