the break up ; 1

summary: you & tom break up & it's hard on the both of you.

warnings: angst

You knew it was cliché for you to think your relationship with tom would last forever. you knew it from the second you fell in love with him, but you denied it from the beginning. you finally felt like you could be happy for once, he was your happiness.

but as always, the guy falls out of love. or so he called it, telling himself that's why he broke it off. tom refused to believe any other reason, the real reason he ended things: he felt you needed more, more than what he could give you.

it's stupid, he knows damn well it's stupid. he should've just talked to you about it like a normal person instead of running away from his problems, like he's done in the past. he still holds it over his head to this day, that he ruined the one, important thing in his life.

thinking back to the night where tom called you over to his thouse, needing to talk to you. you never thought he was going to end things, that never crossed your mind at all, so you were in for a surprise.

you remembered walking up to the door & knocking, seeing his face when he opened it. he looked regretful & disappointed, which concerned you.

"hey..." you said as he let you come in, feeling your stomach start to ache, which meant something was gonna happen.

he didn't even say anything, which wasn't like him. he didn't hug or kiss you, he just looked at you before leading you to the living room to talk.

"so... what's on your mind?" you asked once you sat down across from him, nervously fidgeting.

"i uh, i just needed to tell you something" tom said, arms resting on his knees as he looked at you.

he took in your face, how you always looked so beautiful no matter what you did with it. your hair was in a messy bun, some stray hairs in front of your face, which he thought looked gorgeous. you wore a hoodie & some shorts, simple but to him was elegant.

"okay. i'm all ears" you said with reassuring smile.

"i uh... i don't know how to say it really, i just... i don't think i love you anymore" he said rushed out, not even thinking about what he said.

you stayed silent as you continued to look at him, shock on your face with confusing mixed in with it. you couldn't believe it, the same damn excuse you've heard in every relationship you've been in... coming from tom? it couldn't-

"you what?" you whispered, feeling like you couldn't speak.

your eyes glossed over, same with tom's as you looked at one another. you felt your body become numb & your heart stop, feeling limp at hearing those words lean from his lips.

"i-i don't think i, love you anymore y/n. i'm so sorry" he tried to say as clear as he could, his heart breaking at the sight of you looking so upset.

"i find it funny how, i even told you this oh my god. every one of my past relationships has always ended with the guy losing feelings or not loving me anymore. every. single. one" you said a few moments later, sadly chuckling at the irony.

"y/n i-"

"i always felt as if i was unlovable. like i'm not deserving of love, a partner for life, affection... just someone who could be there for me ya know? ever since i was a kid i thought that feeling would be untouchable... until i met you" you said leaning into your hand, closing your eyes so you wouldn't cry.