every way

summary: after being in the afterlife for so long, you decide it's your time to go. but tom isn't ready to let you go, but he knows he has to.

warnings: sad/angst, swears

Inspired by the ending of the 4th season of The Good Place
&
inspired by the song "Every Way" by rex orange county

Being in the afterlife was amazing to say the least. getting to wake up everyday & do something new with tom by your side— it filled you with content. seeing your friends, some family members, travelling around the world & spending more quality time with one another was everything you've ever wanted.

you knew you wanted to spend the rest of your life with tom for sure, 100%. but ever since the option of getting to leave the afterlife & go to the next step— eternal peace... well, you started to think about if you wanted that option or not. you felt that feeling of peace for sure, you've had it for a while.

but you didn't wanna leave without tom, you weren't sure how you could ever leave him.

"love, you okay?" tom asked as he looked down at you as your head was rested on his lap.

you both were outside in your backyard, enjoying the sunset over the mountains & the large lake with pine trees all around. it was peaceful & you did this every night with him.

"i'm fine t, i'm alright" you said, giving him a smile to sell it, but he could tell something was up.

"come on now, don't hide from me" he said, taking your right hand in his left one, holding it firmly as he kissed the top of your hand.

you stayed silent for a few moments, just admiring the way the sun glowed on his pale skin, how it made his brown eyes shine like gold & how it made it look like his hair was illuminating. he looked like a dream & you just wanted to engrave him into your mind.

"tommy..." you said, your voice soft & distant.

your eyes were welling with tears as you looked at him, your lips turning into a sad smile. you didn't know how to break it to him, you felt as if no words could do.

"baby..." he muttered, growing confused & concerned due to how you still haven't told him what's on your mind.

"i don't know how else to tell you this but... i think i'm ready to go" you said with a quiet voice, too scared to say it louder.

tom's lungs stopped working as soon as you said that & fear starting to settle into his bones as his mind processed your words.

"wh-what do you mean?" tom asked you, hoping he heard you wrong.

"i love you tommy, i really do. but i think i'm ready to go on to the... next step you know" you said as you sat up & he immediately pulled you into his lap, his hands holding your waist with a small grip.

"you got the feeling that they told us about didn't you?" he asked, tears forming in his eyes as he looked at yours, hearing you sniffle slightly.

you just nodded in response & took a deep breath before taking his hands into your own, intertwining your fingers with his.

"i don't wanna let you go though" his voice cracked out, his adam's apple bobbing as he tried to swallow his emotions away.