hate

summary: the last couple days have been hard on tom due to negativity on social media. he breaks down, overwhelmed with it all but luckily you were there to help ease his pain.

warnings: angst, swears & a tiny bit of fluff

Hate. that's all tom see's when he opens his social media. whether it's instagram, twitter, or any other form- it's all negative. he's not sure what he's done wrong, he works so hard for his fans, to make them happy & proud. but it's not working anymore.

he understands that there are other more important things going on that needs his attention, but all the comments are repeating in the back of his brain. he's been acting different around the house in the past couple days & you've noticed it.

he's less talkative at breakfast, lunch & dinner. he takes more naps during the day, he zones out a lot when anyone try's to talk to him & he just seems so sad. you've never seen him so distraught & it hurts you to know that he's hurting on the inside.

so today, you decided to try to talk to him about it. he was currently outside on the patio, listening to music on the outdoor couch, eyes closed like he's trying to block everything out. the sun was about to set, so you thought it would be a good idea to catch him now.

as you made your way outside, you saw tom was laying horizontally, so you kneeled at his side, running your fingers through his hair as he still kept his eyes closed.

"hi tom" you said, waiting for him to say something.

"hi" that was all he let out, taking out his earbuds & putting them in their case, sticking it back into his shorts pocket.

"i know something is on your mind lovie" you said as tom looked at you.

"how are you so sure about that?" he asked, fidgeting with his fingers.

"you fidget & you try to block everyone out. i know you like the back of my hand" you said knowingly, tom not furthering to hide from you.

"i don't want you to suffer with your thoughts all alone so please, tell me what's bothering you" you pleaded, caressing his cheek.

"i just... i don't know what i'm doing wrong" after he said that, it's like a switch went off in his brain & he broke.

tom broke in front of you, sobs, shakes- the whole thing. his walls fell & he felt vulnerable but he didn't care anymore. you sat him up so he wasn't laying down & pulled him into your arms, his head buried into your shoulder & his arms held to you tightly as he cried.

your heart broke at the sight of him so upset. tom is such a strong guy & he doesn't fall apart so often, but when he does it's serious.

"let it all out lovie, i'm right here" you whispered to him, kissing his head & rubbing his back, trying to make him feel better.

"the fans all hate me, i don't know what i did" he tried to say as clear as he could, but whimpers & cries made it hard to hear.

"everything is just so fucking negative, i just feel overwhelmed" he said, burying his head further into your shoulder.

"you don't deserve that. you work so hard for your fans. the ones that are being negative towards you aren't your real fans, the real ones stick with you through thick & thin" you said, pulling his head from your shoulder up so you could see him.

"tom, i promise you that things will ease over. but when this stuff happens or you feel overwhelmed... don't shut me or the others out. at least try not to, we all care so much  about you, we just want to see you smile" you said as you wiped some of his tears, cupping his cheeks.

"i love you & things will be alright, trust me lovie" you continued, kissing him gently.

after he pulled away he gave you a genuine smile & hugged you again, feeling a little better.

"you always know what to say" tom said, looking at you again.

"it's just my magic power" you replied, giving his hand a little squeeze.

"can we lay out here a little longer?" he asked.

"sure, come here" you said, moving so you would be laying like he did earlier.

tom then laid on top of you, head resting just under your chin as his chest pressed against yours.

"your comfy" he mumbled.

"mhmm" you hummed, happy he was feeling better.

wrote this because i know the fandom has been a little toxic lately. show more love to one another please, especially to tom ❤️