i really hate magic (nwh spoilers)

you were annoyed that your boss forced you to be working on new year's eve when everyone would be too busy to come in. you just leaned onto the counter with your arms supporting your head while you tried not to fall asleep. ned & mj weren't even here to make it all better. it was just pure silence... until the bell on the door rang loudly.

you rapidly blinked & yawned before looking up at your neighbour.

"surprised to see you out on new years" you said with a surprised glance to peter, who just chuckled at you.

"i got nothing better to do so... could i get a coffee? please?" he replied, trying to warm up his hands since he had forgotten to pack his mitts with him before going on patrol.

"sure. you could also get a cookie or something— it's on the house since my boss isn't here— but it has to be our secret" you told him, seeing him break out into a small smile at your demeanour.

he loved the way you spoke.

"i don't want you to get—"

"just come around back & choose something while i get the coffee filter!" you yelled before racing to the back, rummaging through boxes to find the correct filter for the machine.

shaking his head at your antics, peter listened to you & went around the counter to choose a treat to eat. he examined everything on the counter & finally picked a piece of banana bread.

"nice choice, it—"

"goes great with coffee"

you & peter both went silent at that. that's your saying... how did he—

"you have good taste" you told him, shaking off that weird feeling you felt at the back of your spine.

that happened every time peter was around & it was getting on your nerves.

peter than hopped over to the other side of the counter & you rang him up on the cash.

"thanks for stopping by. you made my new years less boring" you told him sheepishly, seeing his eyes twinkle while they looked into yours. that twinkle felt too familiar.

"happy new year y/n" peter said, reaching into his pocket to hand you a tip & a folded piece of paper.

with a furrowed brow, you asked him, "what's the piece of paper?" you looked at it quizzically & then at him. he looked content & confident as well as anxious & scared. you weren't sure how one person could look so many emotions at once.

"you'll find out when you read it. it explains everything, i promise"

turning around, peter left the cafe & once the door shut closed you turned the paper over & saw his messy— but adorable handwriting.

Dear Y/N,

You don't know me, so this is going to sound pretty crazy. But actually, you do know me. Well, you just forgot you do because of me. I messed things up. In the summer we had the science trip in Italy & Quentin Beck (aka Mysterio) ruined everything, betrayed me & almost killed me, you, ned & everyone else on the trip— it was really crazy, just a whole big mess. We confessed out feelings for each-other after I fought Beck & when we went back home, everything got worse. My identity was revealed to the whole world, people starts hating me & I was considered "Public Enemy #1" because people believed I killed Mysterio & I was the one who was messing with his illusion technology— INSANE!!! I'm sorry this letter is so long, but its almost done. I went to Dr. Strange to make everyone forget my identity, I messed up the spell when he was doing it & then all these villains from different universes that knew who "Peter Parker" is (crazy to think other people have the same name as me?!) showed up & you, ned & I caught them & tried to help them before sending them back home (even though Dr. Strange was against it... I got into a lot of trouble with him). They all basically turned on me, you & ned found the other peters that were Spiderman & I fought Green Goblin who then killed May & then me & the other peter's helped stop the villains & I had to make Dr. Strange do the original spell in order to fix the mess I made. I told you that i'd explain everything when I first saw you & tell you that I love you but, I just couldn't. I was originally going to give you this last time I ordered a coffee but I hope it's okay if i give it to you now. I'm sorry for messing everything up, but I hope this kind of explains everything.

— Peter Parker

as soon as you put the paper down on the counter, you felt yourself break into tears as soon as the fireworks for the new year set off. you felt yourself remember small bits & pieces of your past that was somehow erased & changed in order to fit the narrative that peter didn't exist & you felt overwhelmed. you needed to close the cafe, lock up & head to peters straight away.

& that's just what you did.

when you finally reached his door after trekking home, you knocked twice & waited anxiously.

"peter?! please, i-i need to talk to you" you said close to the door, your anxiety rising as the seconds pass on.

the door then opened slowly & you were met with an empty looking peter. he looked defeated, like he was just shot to lose something else in his life & he didn't have the energy to do any more fighting.

"did you... did you read it?" he asked finally, making you nod your head immediately.

"so... uh—"

you didn't know what to do, so you hugged him. you hugged him tighter than you could remember. you held him like your life depended on it & you felt peter ease into your touch, you felt him hold you close & sniffle into your shoulder. you heard the door shut & heard him take deep breath's to calm himself.

"do you remember it? do you remember it all? or at least some things? because—"

cutting him off from his rambling, you held his face in your hands & smiled lovingly at him.

"i do, i promise" you assured him, only making him break down even more.

"i really hate magic" you said with a light laugh.

"i know" peter agreed, his puppy dog eyes looking right into yours, feeling complete again.

"i love you" peter said with a sad smile on his face, brushing his nose against yours lovingly like he used to do.

"you remembered"

"i always will"