bad day

summary: tom got into his head too much one day while you were out & when you came back he broke down in front of you.

warnings: a little angsty & fluffy

Tom didn't feel like himself today, he knew that from when he woke up that he was in a different headspace.

he's usually a happy & confident person, who can be soft spoken & kind. but today he felt too exhausted to open his eyes & he didn't feel happy to start the day, he wanted to stay in the sheets forever.

you were out with some family for the day, since you haven't seen them in a while, so you won't there when tom woke up. he completely forgot you were gone for the day when he reached out for you, only finding the space to be empty & cold.

he almost let out a whimper, because he felt like he needed you so much in that moment.

when he rolled over to check the clock on the bedside table, it read 10:59am so he decided to get up even though he felt sluggish.

he stayed in an old pair of sweatpants that needed to be washed, a t-shirt that he found on the ground & made his way to get a cup of tea. but he felt to exhausted to make on so he just had water & a piece of toast.

tom usually eats a little more in the morning, but he wasn't even hungry, which felt weird to him. he felt like he had no energy in his body to lift his arms to eat, he felt like he was gonna collapse at any moment.

but he kept going until he finished half the toast & left the table to go to the washroom. but when he turned on the light & saw his reflection, he felt upset.

his hair was a mess & it was a bit matted, his face was pale & his eyes were droopy & he looked like he didn't get a wink of sleep the previous night.

but he also noticed he started to breakout on his face, which frustrated him a lot. he hated when he broke out on his face, he felt like he was ugly, like how he felt back when he was 17.

he got text message from his trainer asking if tom was up for a workout today but he declined, knowing that if he was feeling how he was feeling now at the gym, he wouldn't be able to get any work done.

so he settled into the couch & let the tv play as background noise as he smothered himself in blankets, trying to hide away from his feelings even though he knew it wouldn't do anything. by the time he checked his phone again it was 4pm.

he knew you were going to be home soon & he didn't want you to see him like this, but he had no energy whatsoever to shower or even brush his teeth so he stayed on the couch & closed his eyes, feeling his body go numb as he fell back asleep.

the next time he woke up was when he heard laughter coming from outside the front door, which confused him as he rubbed his eyes. the door unlocked & you walked in, smiling as your close family friend alex has dropped you off.

tom has always been a little jealous towards him because you & alex have been close friends since elementary school, but you & him were nothing other than friends. when you walked in, you noticed tom on the couch but thought he was sleeping, so you told alex to be quiet.

"thanks for dropping me off again, have fun on your date tonight" you whispered to alex, giving him a quick hug.

"thanks & it wasn't a problem" he said back, smiling at you again before heading out the door.

you took off your shoes & quietly walked over to tom, kneeling beside him. you brushed your fingers through his hair a bit & he opened his eyes, seeing your happy self while he felt the complete opposite.

"hey sleepy head" you whispered to him, giving him a small smile as he tried smiling back at you, but he just couldn't do it.

"what's wrong t?" you asked him, noticing how he wasn't acting like his usual self.

he just shook his head side to side as his eyes glossed over while looking at you, feeling all of his bottled emotions start to burst. as tears started to fall from his eyes & his lip started to quiver you moved to sit next to him & took him into your arms.

"shhhh, it's okay tommy. i'm right here" you whispered to him, giving a light kiss to his head as you held in close to you.

he let out muffled sobs & cries, making your heart ache for him. you wish you came home earlier or never left at all so you could've helped prevent his breakdown, you felt bad you weren't here for him sooner. he held your torso tighter as his sobs got quieter, deeply breathing.

"i'm sorry" he croaked out, leaning his head on your chest, shutting his eyes as more tears fell.

"don't be sorry tom, it's okay" you said, rubbing his back a little & running your free hand through his hair to help ease him.

"i just had a bad day for the most stupid reasons" he said as he sniffled, pulling you closer to him.

"they weren't stupid if they made you feel like this honey, so tell me what happened today" you said, trying to encourage him.

"well uh, you weren't here when i woke up. forgot you went out so i kinda missed you. i immediately felt like shit when i got out of bed. i didn't have much energy to finish breakfast & didn't eat much either, didn't eat for the rest of the day too" he said, feeling almost guilty for how he acted.

"turned down a workout today with mark asking to workout today but i said no, cause i felt so off. started to breakout again & it's not good, skin too pale. i looked & felt like pure shit, ever since i woke up. i waited for you though, i just sat here & waited because i wanted to see you" he continued on, lifting his head to look at you with bloodshot eyes.

"i felt so selfish for wanting you come home, i was gonna call you & ask you come back but you haven't seen your family in a while & i didn't want to rude so i waited. then fucking alex dropped you home & all these insecurities bubbled up- i'm so fucking pathetic y/n" tom said frustratedly, hands going to grip his hair.

"you aren't pathetic tom" you immediately told him, gently you moving his hands from his face so you could hold it, caressing your thumbs against his tired skin.

"bad days happen to everyone. i'm sorry that i wasn't home most of today & if you did call me i would've came straight to you— no matter the traffic or whatever. you are the most important thing to me, i wanna be here for you tommy" you said quietly, making tom's eyes brighten at your words.

"alex only dropped me off because my brother had to use my car & alex was already at my parents with his, so he drove me back. he's also seeing someone... & i love you, so there's no need to worry about him" you said, giving him a quick peck on the lips before continuing.

"i have an idea. how bout you come with me to the kitchen & we can talk some more while i make us some food— you seriously need to eat something. then we can come back to the couch & watch whatever you want. then we'll take a shower & i'll put a face mask on you to help your acne & then we can just relax & you can try to clear your head" you suggested, making tom sigh contently.

"does that sound good?" you asked, giving him a smile.

"it sounds perfect. thank you" tom said while giving you a big hug.

tom was glad to know you'd be there whenever you needed him & that you'd help him as much as you could, because he would do same for you in a heartbeat.