Chapter 110

Dex POV

I had left the pack for four days to provide a distraction for the vampires. Even with a war on the horizon, everything was looking up already.

Zara's recovery had been phenomenal. I didn't know the cause of it. We were just happy to accept it. I could feel my mate becoming her old jovial self again. Hell, she even slept better at night.

Everything was looking up for me. Zara's transformation had brought so many good things with it.

I heard a sudden sound bringing me out of my reverie.

Currently, I was spying on the vampires' movement. It seemed that they had brought some sort of shipment in and they were trying to move out the cargo. Zara had told their names and what they looked like. At least the prominent figures, It didn't take to long locate him in the crowd and zoom in on him. His black air was shaved close to his head and he looked like a wind could blow him away. But I knew better than to believe that. Something about the expressions of those working under him told me he was more dangerous than he looked.

What was his name again? Stilhts. Yes, Sam's right-hand man.

He was directing everyone as they loaded the cargo into the ruck. I wonder what it was.

I had planted some mines that triggered with wires. The explosion would set off nearby and wouldn't kill them just stun them. Zara had specifically requested not to kill them.

I didn't know where the wires were but they didn't go off as I had expected. It was all over the place. The mines should have gone off by now, the way they were all stomping around. They loaded the truck and left leaving Stilhts behind. I felt chills for some reason even if I was just spying on him from a safe distance, hid in the trees using binoculars.

Ever so slowly he turned. I felt my heart race. And then all of a sudden he was looking at me. A slow smile crept into his face. My eyes widened.

Had he... known I was here?

I stepped back and suddenly an explosion went off.

I hit my head and blacked out for a few hours not realizing that had happened.

...............

"Dex? Dex?" I could hear a voice calling me. I finally came to, realizing it was Lexi.

"What happened?" I groaned rubbing my head, that hurt.

"Don't move. They had replanted the mines to your location. You triggered one when you stepped back." She said and my breath stopped in my lungs.

"Wha... I..what?" I asked.

"You move, you die alright?" She said.

"I am working on disabling them. It will be a few hours yet." She said.

I could finally feel things starting to clear around me.

"A few hours! I don't have a few hours." I said.

They were all in danger. How did they know? The spy! Zara had warned me and we had kept it under tight wraps. So how? Either way, Zara was in danger. They were coming for her, I realized with a sinking feeling in my gut. They knew this was gonna happen. They knew Zara was gonna betray them, what else did they know?

We were gonna lose this fight.

"Lexi, call Zara," I said.

"I can't risk it, phone calls can trigger the mines. Besides, I need my full systems working on these now." She said and I groaned in frustration.

"Don't you have something to a mind link?" I asked quizzically.

"It does not work like that. She has to communicate with me first so we can establish a stable connection," Lexi said.

"Hurry, hurry," I said even if she was going much faster than I ever had. She was a marvel.

I was amazed by what Zara had made. Even the protection software of the vampires, Lex. She was a work of art. I couldn't even come close to hacking into her.

My daughter was a genius. And I was going to lose her. Again. The realization made a pit in my gut and I could feel my wolf's agitation. I needed to get out of here already. The shipment was probably leaving for the pack and I was out for two hours. We had a few hours left but by then everyone would be at the party and no one would attend calls. I had to leave as soon as I could and even then I would be late.

As soon as Lexi was done, I sprinted for the jeep that I drove in. I drove almost recklessly, having Lexi call Atheliua, Blaze, and Zara multiple times. Phones weren't allowed at the party. It was a ground to cause irritation among alphas. And it could be grounds for disrespect as well from the teenagers. With their flashy selfies and whatnot.

Think Dex, Think Think! Who is likely to have a phone despite all the rules? Well, Zara previously. But Athelia was getting her ready and she would have removed her phone. And she and Blaze will be at the center of everyone's attention. They wouldn't carry phones with them. 

I almost rammed into a tree but swerved at the right time.

Who else? That Raven girl! She must have her phone with her!

"Lexi do you have Raven's number?" I asked, my voice laced with panic.

"I have everyone's number." She huffed her cool voice a contrast against my panic.

"CALL HER NOW!" I barked at her.

"Alright, alright Geez," she said and I could feel her eye roll.

The phone rang three times before going to voice mail, I hit the steering wheel in frustration.

"Try again," I commanded.

The phone rang again and this time she picked up. I thanked the moongoddess.

"What?" Her annoyed voice filtered through shocking me.

"Raven this is Dex, alpha of Moonstone," I said.

"Who?" She asked. Did this girl not attend Civics lessons?

"Zara's father." I grated out.

"Just kidding alpha I know who you are." She said her voice laced with amusement.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and looked to the heavens. Teenagers these days!

"Goddess give me patience," I muttered a quick prayer.

"Raven listen to me. Zara is in danger. They knew about our plans. I bet they already know about her betrayal. You have to warn her. NOW." I said trying to keep my voice as calm and firm as possible. The possibilities scared me.

If something happened to my daughter...

No, I didn't have time to dwell on the possibilities. I had to act now.

"On it." Raven's voice sounded clipped. And the line went dead.

Hopefully, she would be right. Hopefully, everyone will be safe.

I prayed to the moongoddess as I never had before.

Please let me alright. Please give me time to reach there, moongoddess.

Please have them wait for me.

.............