Epilogue

Zara POV

I wiped the sweat off my forehead. It had been another hard day's work

I loaded the last box and made sure to check inventory before turning off all the lights.

I smiled. I always felt so satisfied after such a day. So in control. And I never wanted to concede this to anyone again.

"Did all the shipments come in?" Greg's voice called out as I closed the shutters loudly and locked it.

I turned and smiled at him. "Yep," I said.

My old life felt like a fading memory now. A forgotten one. I wasn't an alpha's daughter here. Not a luna. And nobody cared. I enjoyed the anonymity.

I was currently in a small desert town. The heat was unbearable but everything was good otherwise. It was a small town based around an old factory. Everyone here had worked in the factory for years. I joined a few months earlier.

The run from Blaze had been exhausting, and I couldn't stay at any place for too long before he found me. I had easily exhausted all the places I knew from Sam especially since Blaze knew to look for me there from my memories.

But the rest of the world was mine to explore. He wouldn't be able to find me all that easy there. Every time I moved had to get a new name and fake IDs. It had been exhausting but very satisfying. 

I enjoyed the chase really.

I enrolled as a worker in the factory myself. And I operated heavy machinery. It didn't pay much. Just barely enough for food and rent. But working with machines was my thing. And it brought me incredible satisfaction. I could rise through the ranks any time I wanted. And I probably will whenever I get tired of doing what I did. There are better positions here too where I will get to work with computers. I was saving the best for the last. But for now, this was enough. I had made quite a few friends and I had a feeling Greg would miss me if I left.

Maybe it was because of the alpha energy or I because I charmed them, but the people here liked me and they naturally gravitated towards me.

I wasn't ever left alone and I didn't mind the company. So long as they provided me a fresh start I was golden.

The wind kicked up the dust and I turned my head and closed my eyes. The heat hit my face and the smell of sand was potent. Greg raised his newspaper to shield his face.

Greg's grunt brought me out of my thoughts. He was a grumpy old grandpa. And mostly communicates in grunts than in actual words. But there was a kind side to him. He was the first to hire me when I came here. And had even offered to split his meal since I was dead broke by the time I got here.

I had run out of Sam's funds by month three. I hadn't anticipated it would be so difficult to keep a job and I didn't think Blaze would be so relentless. And it has been nearly nine months since I started the run. I had been running ever since. Thankfully Blaze hadn't traced me here. I would have left in the middle of the night if he did. Lexi was automated to warn me the moment she sensed movement from him. That's how I kept ahead.

Greg is the reason I stuck with the job. Him and the fact that this place was so isolated that even Blaze couldn't track me here.

I was tired of leaving. Of connecting with people and having to move again. And I had enough of the adventure for now. It was time for me to settle. I had stayed in this place the longest. It has been almost months now and I made a few good friends. Humans were good company.

I made sure the lock was firmly clicked in before standing up and telling Greg to lay off the donut for the sake of his health. He mumbled something I was glad I didn't hear. He didn't bother to look up, still reading his newspaper from where he sat on the chair.