Chapter 81

Stilts POV

I entered as soon as I heard the king finish his call.

He sighed as I poured him champagne. The drink wasn't calming him as usual.

Something about Zara must still be bothering him.

Zara was always bothering him. That troublesome child. I never saw what he saw in her to make her want to be his queen.

She was still immature and had a long way to go.

All in all, she was a mere... child.

Perhaps without her looks and her affinity with machines, she would be as suitable for the role of a vampire queen as any maidservant.

No... she would be even less suitable.

She was a werewolf after all.

One of the wretched species that stole my wife away from me.

"Stilts I know you disapprove of her but seriously if you frown any harder the lines may forever mar your face," Sam said in a jovial tone.

I knew him enough to pick out the differences between when he was actually joyful and when he was using it to cover his stress. This was definitely the latter.

"The spy gave you some disturbing news again, your highness?" I asked as I placed the champagne glass in front of him.

The golden drink caught the warm light in the room, glimmering graciously.

Sam leaned back in his chair.

"The spy always delivers disturbing news." Sam sighed again. My fists unconsciously clenched.

Even when we were alone he wouldn't speak the name of the spy. That is just how cautious he was. That and because the certain someone held some value to him. He didn't want to risk it if someone was eavesdropping. Especially since we were at the mansion so close to werewolf territory.

So he could protect Zara if things took a turn for the worst.

It didn't make sense how someone like him would ever want someone like that child. At first, his plan was to dispose of her as soon as he was done with her. But I saw his emotions change. The way he looked at her change.

And one day I suddenly knew. As intimidating and savage a beast he was, he could never harm a hair on her head.

The yearning I once had for Maria, I saw it in his eyes when he looked at her. He never expressed his desperation to her clearly since the child was always feared him.

I suppose he is scared of that desperation himself. Regardless Zara remained clueless. One of the many reasons I objected to their union so much.

What made it difficult was how loved she was by the king's brothers. They supported the king's decision. They never saw the disaster I saw.

She could never understand Sam. She would hold him back, his greatness, his vast potential.

I had no doubt she was his Achilles heel. She will be the death of him.

"Has she fallen for the boy yet?" I asked nonchalantly.

His head whipped towards me, his piercing eyes wedging into my soul.

"She is the future vampire queen and you shall regard her with the respect she deserves." He said coldly.

I clenched my fist under the weight of his gaze.

"Besides any insult to her would be an insult to me. Her failures will be mine for not teaching her properly. Especially if something like that happens so soon. So be careful of your words, Stilts." He warned.