Chapter 24

I woke up feeling a weight on my shoulder. The light was too blinding and I had to blink a few times to get out of the haze and unfold my tongue.

I look to my right and pushed him to see Jason's head resting on my shoulder. I pushed him off and not-so-surprisingly it took a bit of my strength to drag off all that weight. But surprisingly, he immediately cuddled up with the nearby cushion. Cringe. Why does she have to be so... girly? Or is this childish. I think I won't be surprised if he started sucking on his thumb or something. But who am I to say this? I sleep with my tongue folded!

I inspected his face closely. I am positive even an explosion won't wake him up. His breathing was even. His face plain, yet peaceful. Free of all the melodrama he usually put his face muscles to work on, he actually looked... good. Not handsome god, but cute good. When did I ever sleep that peaceful? Not even when I was dead on my feet.

To say I am envious would be an understatement. I am jealous. Full-blown. I think I will be able to sleep like this only after everything is said and done. The war, the massacre. I think I will be able to rest peacefully after.

I slowly wade out of the sofa into the tsunami of clothes. I looked towards condo's cage to see him sound asleep.

The wretched rat! Apparently, I remind him of some big 'Honey loop Momma.' Jason's theory states that with the auburn hair and the yellow sundress, I gave off that impression. 'He loves you.' That's what he said.

I think I could live without all that loving. I nearly fainted when the thing landed on my face. But Jason had immediately scooped it up and it had rolled into a fur ball. Then the fleabag had run up Jason's shoulder in a manner that some might find cute.

I think I would find it cuter in one of those rat traps.

Zian sneered at my thoughts.

She thinks I am weak to think this way. And I can't care less what she thinks. I used to. But now I don't.

I didn't leave his room yesterday night as I didn't want to give anybody the wrong impression. Jason said that the walls of his room are soundproof. And it was a relief. But I don't know how far it prevented Blaze from picking up the sounds.

Maybe he was far away, in his wing. In his room, sound asleep. So he may not have picked up on anything. One can always hope.

Yeah right, dream on.

I didn't want him to think I had any weaknesses. Besides being in Jason's room itself shows he is one of my weaknesses.

You get my point.

I made sure I wasn't spotted as I made it to my room. It is already 7:30. I have to be quick. It is a good thing that many of this pack members are not morning people. Something I have to note down.

When I reached my door, I saw a book lying there. Or more like a file.

"The youth pills- an extended record of scientist Frank's works." It read.

Wow, I can't believe this. Whoever dropped this deserves thanks. I love reading about such experiments. I could skip to the last page and read how he managed to make the youth pills, but that would take away the fun.

I want to read about all his failures as well. How at last he came to the conclusion.

In case you are wondering what youth pills are, they are what their name suggests. Pills that you eat to remain youthful, or regain youthfulness. Some say it can even make you a child again. Youth pills are legendary. Every kid around knows about it.