Nightmare- Vinny Mauro

TW// nightmares, shooting, loss of a loved one, panic attacks :/

Vinny's POV

I rolled over at the sound of glass smashing, I looked to my left to see y/n climbing out of bed. "Baby what's going on?" I asked, they rubbed their eyes tiredly. "I heard something smash, I'm gonna go check on Lori and see what's going on?"

I nodded and laid back down thinking it was nothing, I stared at their pillow until a loud bang rang through the house, my ears felt like they were on fire and the next few moments felt like it all happened in slow motion. I threw the duvet covers back and sprinted downstairs, I looked to the door to see someone running out of it.

The window was smashed but something more important caught my attention instead.

A murderous scream ripped through my body as I picked up y/n's head from the floor and set it in my lap. "Y/N! OPEN YOUR EYES!" They were limp and pale, I pressed my hand to their heart where blood rushes out of a wound.

Their clothes once and off white silk now stained red, their blood took over the white in an instant. "Don't you die on me y/n! You cant die on me now! What about Lori? I can't raise her on my own!" I begged them to wake up, I begged them to just move and tell me there was a sign of life still in their body.

I could hear Lori crying from upstairs but she's safer upstairs than down here. Sobs racked my body while I held their limp body, our neighbours ran in at the sound of the gunshot.

"CALL 911 PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP ME!"

My body leaped from the bed in a cold sweat, I immediately searched my surroundings taking in that I was still in my room and my girlfriend, Amy was laying sleeping beside me.

My heart felt like it was trying to escape from my chest it was beating so fast, I wiped my neck free of sweat since it quickly became uncomfortable when I was made aware of it being there.

My hair stuck to my forehead which I swiftly swiped away, my eyes bounced manically around the room trying to calm myself down. My cheeks weren't made wet with only sweat but tears cling to them and they roll down from my eyes as well.

'It was a nightmare' I remind myself over and over but my brain couldn't even begin to comprehend anything at this moment.

My girlfriend stirred in her sleep and eventually sat up. "Vinny what the fuck are you doing?" 

"I-I'm sorry.." I stuttered out the best I can. "Are you crying?" She scoffs loudly and pushes me down onto the bed. "Men don't cry, you're weak Vinchenzo." She spits aggressively, I lay with my head buried in my pillow listening to her insults.

I'm a man.. men can cry too.. right?

"What made you cry anyway? Some stupid reason." I go to justify myself but she cuts me off. "I don't care! Get over it! You fucking woke me up for no goddamn reason. Stop being a little girl and suck it up."

Suck it up..

She's right.

I had this sick sinking feeling, I threw the duvet cover back and ran downstairs throwing my shoes on. "Vinny?! What the fuck are you doing?!" I hear Amy yell from upstairs but I ignore it and run next door to y/n, as I got closer to their house my chest felt tight again.

I had only encountered this a few times and every time y/n has been right there to comfort me and bring me down from my manic state of panic.

I lifted up the door mat and got the spare key letting myself into their house, I hope I don't scare them since it is early hours of the morning and still pitch black outside.

I messily kicked my shoes off and ran upstairs collapsing on their bed, I couldn't hold it in anymore. My breathe faltered and my ears rang.

I sat up and pulled my knees to my chest, I dig my head into my knees and claimed my hands over my ears, desperate to try and get the ringing to stop.
My hands trembled with more ferocity than I have ever experienced. My hands fell from my ears and hit the bed, mg fingertips laced in the cover in attempt to make it stop.

'CALL 911! SOMEONE HELP ME!'

'It seemed so real.' My subconscious reminded me continuously.

Hands settled on my shoulders, I hissed until I recognised the touch as y/n's. Their hands rubbed up and down my back and along my arms comfortingly while my I struggled to catch my breath. I felt my back hit someone's chest and I was pulled closer to lay down.

The panic attack I was so violently thrown into started to bleed away. As the ringing died down, I could hear y/n whispering softly in my ear instructing me to count and ground myself. I mouthed along with the numbers, a sense of calmness and serenity began to warm me up.

I let out a shaky breath falling into y/n and becoming completely dependent on them, I didn't care how much less of a man it made me. It seemed so real and I need to know if they're okay.

"Breathe vinny.. you're okay angel, you're safe. You're in my house and it's just me and you. I promise you are safe.." They held me tightly while I clung to their body helplessly.

"What happened sweetheart?" Their voice is so calming and soft, so pure and angel like.

"Nightmare.." I mumble. I felt their grip tighten on me and I go limp laying on their chest. "I promise you're safe sweet boy.. you're okay."

I always believed that home had to be a place; until I met them.

And wow did they prove me wrong. As time goes on and passes by in the blink of an eye they have become my home.

With them I feel safe,
With them I feel loved.

They're able to bring me comfort when no one has ever been able to do so, I'm able to be myself and be vulnerable around them and I will love you till my last dying breath.