Weary- Ricky Olson

Tw// brief mentions of abuse

Ricky's POV

It's the lesson before lunch, everyone is riled up and I can't imagine anyone wants to be here much like myself but we have to do what we have to do.

"Afternoon class, I know you're so excited to be back in my English lesson, but we have a lot of work to catch up with. Will you get out your assigned homework please?" I ask putting my jacket on the back of my seat and leaning against the front of the desk.

"Does anyone wanna tell me what the project soon due is on? Just to remind everyone." The girl who answers most questions in this English class raises her hand, no one bothered to make a move to raise their hand so I asked her.

"Yep, go ahead."

"It's an essay on your own alternate ending to Romeo and Juliet. What would have happened if they didn't die." I nod scribbling it down on the white board. "Good, you have five minutes to sit next to your partner and for the lesson you can chill out and do some work with them." As soon as I was done talking the class were eager to move next to their friends.

"Sir, my partner isn't in. What a surprise." I spun around seeing y/n not sat in their seat, located at the far left back corner of the class. "Uh, you can join another group for this lesson please."

"The emo isn't in again, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up dead." I hear him laugh, it got under my skin. How dare he?

"Max, out now." I tell him sternly.

"What? Sir I did nothing wrong!"

"Then what did you just say about y/n?" I cross my arms over my chest waiting for his response, he scoffs and picks up his back storming out of the room. The class gets back to taking like before, half way through the lesson y/n rushes in through the door.

They walk towards their seat, sitting down and pulling out their notebook. I watch them curiously as they rest their head on the table, this wasn't a rare occurrence, I often let them sleep through the lesson.

I had no clue what the poor kid was going through but if this was the only time they could catch some sleep I was more than happy to let them sleep and give them extra help closer to tests.

"Since it's lunch next I'm gonna let you go 10 minutes early, you may leave." The class cheered, rushing out the door. I just wanted the change to speak to y/n or just for them to sleep peacefully.

I sit in my classroom through lunch everyday so it's no trouble to have them in here, I walked towards them wearily and knocked on the corner of the desk. Their head shoots up with a terrified look in their eyes.

"Hey.. no rush, it's lunch time. You're more than welcome to go and get lunch or stay in here with me." I offer not wanting them to feel pressured to do either.

"D-do you mind, sir?" I shook my head with a soft smile, "of course not. Do you have food?" I noticed how small in size they were for their age and it worried me a bit.

"Uh no, I don't get hungry at lunch." I didn't buy it and there was no way I was going to go without lunch. "You can share with me." I went back to my desk and pulled out my packed lunch I had made this morning. I sat on the desk in front of them turning my chair around the face them, "here's half a sandwich, crisps and a few chocolate covered strawberries my girlfriend made me." They smiled thanking me profusely.

"You have a girlfriend, Mr Olson?" They ask with a small smirk biting into the sandwich. I chuckle and pull out my phone, "you can call me Ricky and yes I do. Her name is Jaime." I show them a picture. "She's beautiful.."

"Yeah she is.." I smile thinking of her.

"So your name is Ricky Olson? It has a ring to it." We laugh together, "I'm glad you think so Y/n L/n."

"Why were you late this morning? If you don't mind me asking of course." I ask after a moment of silence, I have had multiple conversations with y/n and each time I've wanted to ask but haven't gotten the chance to at any time.

"Well the place I live at isn't the best of places, I'll just put it that way. I have a lot of house mates.."

"House mates? You don't have sibling?" I furrow my brows confused. "Well sort of, I look after a lot of my house mates since I'm one of the oldest who currently live there. It's my job to get everyone situated for the day or no one else will." The speak so casually like they're used to it.

"Sounds like a big job for someone who's 16?" I question their age since I wasn't sure at all. "Yep, 16. I mean I won't live there for much longer."

They had an aura surrounding them that just drew me to them, I wanted to know more without being nosy or weird and scaring them off.

The bell cuts us short, "you seem tired, I'll write you a sick note so you can go home now and rest. Take care of yourself y/n."

"Thank you si- Ricky.." I smile and hug them gently before I write them and note and they leave in a hurry. I had a free period now, I pull open my laptop and go into Google.

I searched up their name immediately being met with links.

"Breaking news, Mr and Mrs L/n jailed for life due to the abuse of their child y/n l/n. The child sadly left to the foster system."

Y/n's a foster kid..

Their housemates are other foster children..