Out of the Darkness

Teru emerged from the darkened confines of the cave. The others covered their faces as their eyes tried to adjust to the light, but Teru welcomed the pain as his pupils constricted from the early morning sun. He stepped out without hesitation, letting his brown eyes bask in nature's glory. The dense forest surrounded them.

Although he'd been awake for hours, he stretched his arms and legs as if he just woke up. It was refreshing to get out of the stuffy tunnels. Still, it was better than staying in the bomb shelters built nearby when the war began. In emergencies where vampires were suddenly in the area, they would have to hide there if the caves were too far to reach, sometimes up to a month.

Eating 150-year-old cans of peaches and beans was no joke. He had a weaker nose than most, so sometimes the ancient goop's smell would make him sick.

"You're always the first one out of the caves," an amused voice commented from behind. Lucas, his childhood best friend, came up beside him. He was an alpha. His ocean-blue eyes were also straining from being exposed to the warm light. "We were in there a little longer this time."

Two weeks ago, vampires were spotted a few miles away. Some of the spotters, the pack members whose job was to watch out for threats, had been captured, but most had returned to deliver the news. They all scrambled inside of the caves. Because the vampires were so close, the leader of their pack made the call to hide longer. If it hadn't been for the fact that they were almost out of food and water, they would've stayed longer.

Oh, and they all freaking stank like heck. It was drier than usual this season, so there hadn't been fresh water flowing below into their watering holes. Teru's black hair was greasy from not washing it.

"The vamps have been coming around here more often. I overheard we might have to move to a different cave mouth again. The Styx Pack will probably fuss about it," Teru said. Mammoth Caves had two groups living within it—the Styx Pack and Valley Pack. They were part of the Valley Pack where they have the advantage of more hiding places, but the Styx Pack had better access to the river. The leaders from long ago used these names after the tours that humans used to do for fun here. Why would anyone want to voluntarily go into the caves for FUN?

Lucas scoffed. "Styx can just suck it."

"Watch your language."

"You're not my guardian, omega."

Teru held up his middle fingers and ran ahead.

Lucas ran after him. "You're such a hypocrite!"

They raced through the thicket. While tumbling around on the forest floor, they'd nip at each other's heels during the game. Their light growls disturbed the quiet woods. When alphas play together, and apparently omegas too, their actions and games closely resembled wolf behaviors. It had been so tense recently that they couldn't help but act like pups again.

During their play, Teru whiffed Lucas's lavender scent. It was comforting, like smelling family. A brother he never had.

The fun came to an end when Teru's beta mother, Kari, stood nearby, tapping her foot on the ground. Her face was full of concern. "Please stop with the puppish games, Teru. We need to be quick and go back inside."

"Don't be so dramatic, Mom. The most dangerous thing out here is you," he joked. His mom was unbearably protective over him because of his gender. None of the other packs in the area knew of his existence. It especially worsened when his father, Rei, was taken by the vampires four years ago and was considered to be dead since blood slaves didn't last long. He was also a beta like his mother. If the alphas in the other packs saw that the Valley Pack had an omega, a young, fertile one at that, there would no doubt be a civil war to mark him and be his mate for life.