Mint

The next few days were a blur.

Teru vaguely remembered masked vampires haphazardly tossing him into another vehicle. His head thumped against the soft seat. He groaned.

"Man, I can't believe that person bought this omega. I give it a week before he's drained."

"What a shame," a second person commented. Teru passed out, wondering about his fate.

The next time he tried opening his eyes, it was sunny. Stars twinkled in his vision from the splitting headache. Counting the little white spots beckoned another round of deep slumber.

"You shouldn't sleep, little one," someone said above him. "You have a concussion."

Teru didn't know who that was, but their tone was calming to him. He mentally apologized to the angelic voice. He just couldn't stay awake.

A hand grazed over his head until it rested over the golf ball-sized bump.

"Driver, how long before we reach our destination?"

"Five hours away, sir."

"Make it three."

"Understood."

Darkness clouded Teru's consciousness again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teru's eyes fluttered open. His hand wiped at the thick layer of crusty stuff around his itchy eyes. Black streaks and glitter stained his hands. What was this?

Teru noticed the cave ceiling's color. It was white. When did they paint his room? Did the scavengers find some? Paint was so rare to come by.

Hold on.

This wasn't the cave! Josy, Lucas, the auction...

Teru sat up quickly, causing a painful throb. "Tch," he grimaced. He gingerly touched his forehead. A large bandage covered the injury.

Once his headache subsided, Teru looked around with wonder. The room had furniture that wasn't covered in 150-year-old grime from the weathering elements. There were lamps with actual working light bulbs in them. He tapped on the delicate glass balls with his fingernail.

His hand balled up the velvety blanket underneath him. This was a bed! It could easily fit five people. The pillows were unnaturally squishy. What was used to stuff them? It didn't feel like animal skin. Is this what humans from Before slept on? It sure beat his pile of straw and grass.

Teru realized he was wearing the cleanest clothes he'd ever worn. The black, silky pajamas were too big for him, but it didn't matter—just wearing something that didn't constantly scratch his skin or give him rashes was enough to make him emotional.

BEEP BEEP.

There were unusual sounds. BEEP BEEP? What was BEEP BEEP? He went over to the window and almost fell backward from shock. This building was high enough to reach the clouds! Not even the birds flew at this elevation.

Teru leaned again to see down below. He saw small, moving squares on the streets. Those things were making the honking sounds. Vehicles?

Even smaller than the cars were tiny ants. Were those people? Could they see him?

The view was something else. The structure towered over the earth. He could make out different landscapes. There was land on the left and the ocean to the right. A single tear fell down his face when he studied the endless body of sparkling water. The vast sea was only a legend to his pack, told through stories and drawings in the dirt.