Future Memories

The consistent tremors had them all on edge, reminding everyone that this journey to Los Angeles would not be without danger. Thankfully, the small earthquakes were not strong enough to break apart the earth and were honestly not too noticeable.

For now.

Ruins of homes appeared in the distance. They dotted the overgrown farmlands here and there until forming what Kieran told him were 'suburbs.' There were more buildings here than the Mammoth Caves territory. If these streets of run-down homes were closer to where he grew up, the Valley and Styx packs surely would have fought over their resources. They instilled it in him to take what you can to use for the pack, so Teru was itching to check out what was inside them-

CRAAAAANK.

The Jeep's engine sputtered with angry pops and hums. Black smoke spewed from under the hood. Blaise cursed and rubbed his temple. Slowly, he veered his military vehicle to the side of the road, bushes scraping against the sides. The hanging pink dice swung from the uneven land. He parked it in between a group of tall trees.

"Well, kids, this is where we get off. We have to walk the rest of the way. My baby did all it could," Blaise announced, removing the keys. The bumpy ride didn't wake Lucas, sleeping and sweating from his fever. Though their destination supposedly had doctors, Teru was nervous for him. There was still a week's worth of traveling left.

Kieran gathered their two duffel bags and opened the door, testing how far it could swing out before bumping into the thick plants. There was enough space for them to slip out. "How far away is your hideout?"

"About 40 minutes by foot. Can your little mate make the trip?"

"I can walk," Teru interjected. It was merely a light stroll through the forest outskirts and into the city. "Some exercise would do me good after sitting for so long."

And I really missed being outside!

Kieran looked at his shoes. "You must tell me if the cuts on your feet hurt."

"I will."

Movement from the front seat grabbed their attention. Blaise was doubled over, reaching under his seat. He placed the first-aid kit on the dashboard. "You two catch some fresh air while I change Lasagna's bandage. It's bleeding again. And...oh!" He sat up happily, holding a sky-blue purse. "My Delvaux! I've been looking for this for ages-"

Blaise paused, hesitantly reaching into the handbag. He pulled out a black shoe with handsewn, neon-colored flowers on the toes. A rancid odor filled the car. In the calmest manner he could, Blaise said with clenched teeth, "Someone used my 1985 custom-designed Blahnik kitten heel as a puke bag. A. Puke. Bag."

Shit. Shit! That's right!

Teru leaned over, grabbed a random shoe from under the seat in front of him, and threw up into it. The odor of blood and gunpowder was strong enough to seep into the car. Dismembered bodies with organs hanging from their ripped-open chests piled on the roads. Many soldiers had their hearts missing, some without heads. Others were completely torn apart in two.

He put the ruined shoe into a purse he found and shoved it back.

"Ah, ah," Teru stuttered, "I'm sorry-"

Kieran left the Jeep, grasping Teru's hand. As he guided him, he retorted, "You do not have to apologize. It's not your fault that someone left valuables inside their car." The brothers glared at each other.

Teru carefully slipped out and tiptoed around the fallen twigs and dead leaves. He felt terribly guilty for ruining Blaise's clothes.

Kieran had him by the waist to help weave through the thick brush of nature. "It is fine. He'll get over it. If Blaise truly cared about his priceless possessions, he wouldn't leave them for decades in a car."