In a Pickle

Blaise smacked against the wall, nails trying to snag onto anything. It was too smooth and slippery. The traction of his boots was his only saving grace. It would not be enough. He gritted his teeth and glanced down, seeing several broken pipes standing straight up.

Ugh. Water only is fine. I can endure that. But those? That would be the end of me!

If he fell, he would surely land on one of those sharp points and stab him through the heart!

His feet slipped-

Two hands suddenly had Blaise by the wrist. The glow stick spun out of view. Lucas dropped it to help him. The straining movement tore off the bandage around his throat, exposing the infected, discolored gash.

"Well, aren't you...in a pickle?" Lucas groaned. It was the same words Blaise had said to him all those months ago at Abaddon's party for alphas and omegas to find breeding partners.

Blaise was more interested in the lilac purple pheromones belonging to the human he assumed was Lasagna, aka Lucas. Black speckles dotted the light-hearted color, something he saw occasionally when someone had just underwent an extremely distressing and emotionally damaging event.

Lucas was inching further over the edge because he couldn't get a good grip to hoist himself up. He was growling loudly in desperation.

"Hmm," Blaise hummed curiously. "I suppose I might as well see what he looks like before he dies."

Because of the dangerous, upside-down position, Lasagna's hair covered his bloodied face. The injury was caused by being thrown through thick glass.

"Well, aren't you in a pickle?" Blaise commented nonchalantly.

The sudden appearance of a vampire startled Lucas. He gasped and almost fell over completely to kiss the icy cement with his body.

"What the hell!" he seethed and lifted his head. The winter wind blew his hair away. Blaise's heart skipped when Lucas's blue eyes switched from terrified to hatred. The musky pheromones aimed at him stimulated his sin. Even when in this situation, his disgust with seeing Blaise's fangs was stronger than fear.

Blaise remembered it as if it happened thirty seconds ago. He saw countless humans react the same as Lucas when encountering a bloodsucker. Yet, there was something exciting about that untamed mortal.

That moment changed his life - both of their lives - forever.

"What the hell?" Blaise replied exactly from that memory.

Thanks to Lucas's help, though weak, he inched upward until his hand found the ledge. As Blaise pulled himself to safety, the light faded. The white glow stick sunk into the water, leaving them in darkness. He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out another one, thankful to have stock. The green light revealed the new tunnel. Another damned tunnel! When would this hell end?

Blaise couldn't breathe. Lucas hugged him so tightly around the waist, the strength almost seemed inhuman. His pheromones were a lilac tone with black sparkles shimmering within the color. Blaise had not seen this mixture from him since the day he murdered the Duke.

The stairs must have distressed him that much to alter his pheromones.

"Are you going...to die?" Lucas mumbled.

Something tugged within his torso. Odd. "Me? Die? I made it, didn't I?"

"Your...your...stomach. I can't get it out. There is...so much blood."

"What do you mean, love?"

Lucas sat up. Crimson soaked his clothes. Blaise panicked, patting him from his hair to his feet. Where was he injured?!

Then, the pain hit him. Blaise hissed and doubled over. Fucking hell! He went to his knees and felt where the intense stinging radiated from - his belly. His hands found the invasive tip of a metal pipe. Sometime during the chaos, it skewered him.

It wasn't the earthquake that had Lucas's pheromones in a tizzy. It was Blaise's terrifying injury that would have killed a mortal in an instant.

The vampire became a madman, cackling loudly. Their luck was absolutely rotten! "Oh, look, I've been impaled."

"How do we...get it out?" Lucas couldn't believe his behavior. A sane person wouldn't laugh.

Baby, I need to be psychotic sometimes to cope.

"I got this." Blaise grinned and bared it.

SQUELCH. He yanked the arm-length steel pole. The gruesome, moist sounds echoed. Lucas gasped when an organ or two was pulled out along with it, plopping onto the dirt floor. Blood squirted in all directions.

"Ha, whoops," the vampire giggled.

Blaise picked up whatever ball of fleshy mush this used to be. He shoved it back into the fist-sized hole before it could sew shut. He patted along the floor for the second one. It might have been a kidney, but his vision blurred from losing so much blood. Blood loss couldn't kill vampires, but it did make them utterly weak and disoriented.

"You're really fucked up," was what Blaise expected him to say horrifically. "Too fucked up for me to even look at."

Everyone said so. Fucked up this. Fucked up that. Everything Lust did was fucked up.

What scared Blaise the most was to hear, "You are repulsive. I'm leaving you behind, Lust."

I am repulsive. I am fucked up. I know.

Two hands cupping his pulpy body part appeared in front of Blaise's face. Lucas had found it, not bothered that it was still alive and pulsing. Their gazes met.

"Well? What are you...waiting for? Get up."

Blaise's eyebrows furrowed. Wait, Lucas wasn't disgusted that he could hurt himself so easily? Wasn't appalled by the unhinged episode? Wouldn't abandon him like every friend or partner who realized just how insane he actually was?

They stood. He lifted Blaise's shirt to see the wound. The skin tried to mend, but it was slower than a snail's pace.

Lucas gingerly pushed the organ inside. Blaise winced, feeling everything jumble around in an attempt to return to their place. It was going to be a bitch to walk around like this for a day or more.

The two stared, faces close. They were in disbelief about surviving the ordeal. The black speckles in Lucas's pheromones dissipated, now only lilac. Blaise could stare at the swirls all day. It was truly a spectacle to decipher his colors, like a mood ring without a tiny paper to explain the emotions.

And he didn't say I am fucked up.

Lucas reached out to him like a child. "Carry me. I feel...like I'm dying."

"As you wish," Blaise smiled and obliged, this time choosing to cradle him against his bloodied chest. A rumble sounded from his human.

So docile and cute, yet still demanding. I wish we were in the bedroom.

He peered ahead into the dark tunnel. It didn't look good. Rocks had fallen and blocked most of the space. There were only a couple of pheromones hues from past alphas passing through. Very faint. But, it could not be helped. They had to keep going. The water surged into the shaft rapidly, churning at the bottom.

His grin disappeared once Lucas closed his eyes. More importantly, there was something he'd have to do to him soon.

Lucas was going to hate it. He was going to fight tooth and nail. He was going to scorn and spit on him forever.

You feel like you are dying, love? That's because you are. I'm afraid much sooner than I can get you out.

Blaise just couldn't let his life end so early. Not now. He could not be alone yet.

Even if that meant going against his morals as a vampire.

Note: Flashback is a reference from Lust's Alpha chapter!