Fading

Teru woke up naked in his bed. The headache caused by the bonded mate separation split his head in two. He groaned and rolled onto his back. The cool sheets felt nice on his feverish skin.

What happened?

The last thing he remembered was Abaddon holding the drug. And then I bit him and I...

He became one of them. A werewolf. When Abaddon touched him, a long-hidden instinct erupted. It was weird, though. Teru somehow believed he could shift again if he wanted to. He mentally thought of a wolf sleeping nearby in a grassy meadow, ready to wake up and defend him if necessary. This was the first time seeing such a vivid image, yet, it felt like the creature had always been there.

His hand went to his small belly bump and wondered, Are you guys okay? That must've been scary.

Teru examined his room. It was a wreck. The door was closed. Was he returned in here as a wolf? The table's legs were chewed up into splinters, and deep scratches ruined every wall. Would Abaddon remove the furniture like he said he would, since it was destroyed again? It wasn't intentional, and it would be awfully uncomfortable without a bed. His pink hospital gown was missing, too. He slowly got up and hobbled to the bathroom, taking his sweet time to shower away the sticky layer of sweat. Feeling much better afterward, Teru changed into the standard, white clothes that were the same as everyone else's. Thankfully, the shirt was slightly big, so his stomach wasn't visible. But given the current size of his bump, it would be impossible to hide soon.

Teru sat at the table to eat and...stared at the food. He then stared at the claw marks in front of him on the wallpaper, and he stared at the posh bed still set up in the common area outside. The white collar was on the pristine sheets, where it had been carefully placed for next time. Abaddon wouldn't have been able to wrap it around his neck as a wolf. Dark fur strands speckled the shiny floor. Was that his color? Black?

He tapped into the bonded connection leading him to Kieran. It was weaker. The star was out cold. Teru would've flown past it if it weren't for the glittering green and blue pheromone trail guiding him to his mate's consciousness.

When he returned, the shock had worn off. The reality of how dire this was set in. Unlike his mother, he didn't have a guard to help him. Kieran was hurt somewhere, needing his omega. And he was a freaking dog?! What the heck?! Was there a werewolf 101 video, too?! Would he ever have a normal life?! It was one curveball after another!

I'm scared, Teru sobbed in his thoughts, allowing tears to flow out to release the pent-up sadness. His sniffles were loud. I don't want to be a prisoner anymore.

"You're awake," someone commented. Tae-soo's voice came from the air vent. "The others are sleeping."

Teru stayed silent. He didn't know what to say.

"Do...you have any questions?"

"Questions?"

"You know what I mean."

Teru knew. It was about his werewolf. "I had no idea. Why now? Why not before? I can think of at least a dozen scenarios where it could've been useful. Take down a bloodsucker here and there."

Tae-soo laughed at that last part. "For me, personally, I turned when I was seven. Supposedly, that's younger than normal. A typical age to experience the first shift is during your teen years, so it's not so abnormal in your case. I was facing a stressful home life and bullying at school, so my inner wolf manifested prematurely. Zander changed after his first breakup. A local gang ambushed Lila and her brother in broad daylight. He was beaten to death. Jacky has only mentioned it once, but his owners severely abused him. A significant change or event is usually the trigger. Is being separated from your mate your trigger?"