Shift

"First things first, my stepdaughter has business with you before that."

Sofia inwardly cringed at the way Abaddon said 'stepdaughter.'

For as long as she could remember, she had a gift to see prophecies and a knack for reading someone's energy. She was the reason Abaddon wanted to become a vampire. She had dreamt of him rising to power if he betrayed the heavens and became one of their species, somehow convincing Lilith to do the deed. He kept her around for visions that benefited him and provided special treatment despite her disability. Honestly, he wouldn't be where he was today if it wasn't for Sofia, and she needed him because this cruel society wouldn't hesitate to spit out her blind bones.

But occasionally, the once-righteous angel overstepped boundaries; an inconspicuous graze of a finger here and there, just barely enough to be felt. Sofia would pretend not to notice. She knew. She fucking knew his slimy antics and would tell herself, I must deal with it. He's my ticket to survival.

The omega struggled in Abaddon's grasp. His little growls were aimed at his captor as a warning not to touch him. It was moot, but the resistance charmed her. It wasn't easy for anyone to display disobedience in front of the king, let alone a frail omega who clearly didn't know Abaddon's hidden strength.

A pregnant one, at that. Gluttony could smell the strong hormones pumping in his arteries. Determining the contents in someone's blood was one of her sin's abilities. Did her older brother allow him to mate with another human? Interesting, but whether Abaddon knew wasn't her business. She was there for one purpose only.

Sofia wanted this omega's blood.

As she approached them, reaching out until she found the table. Sofia pulled out equipment from her bag: gloves, alcoholic wipes, a needle, four tubes, etc.

"How long will this take?" Abaddon asked rudely.

Asshole. I told you a destiny-changing prophecy in exchange for a few drops of blood.

"A few minutes," the princess responded in her most respectful tone, not wanting to piss him off. He could go back on his word any second. The human, Teru, squirmed, likely from seeing the scary supplies spread out on the tabletop.

"I don't want this!" She heard Teru try to get up, only to be forced to remain seated.

This will be dangerous if he moves a lot.

"Let go of him." Sofia was talking to Abaddon.

The air grew warm, crackling with his heavenly power. "What?"

"It'll be easier and quicker without you next to him. I'll handle this. Please." It was tense for a whole ten seconds. She almost believed he'd call off their deal. He moved away, much to her relief.

Once she sensed that there was enough space between them, she was satisfied and kneeled. Gluttony herself didn't enjoy doing this position for anyone, but she was eager to get her samples. A dominant alpha kneeling in front of an omega would surely scream, 'I'm not here to hurt you.'

"What are you doing?" Teru asked quietly, confused by her actions.

Sofia put on the rubber gloves. "All I need from you is blood. Not a lot. You have my word."

"Why should I give it to you, bloodsucker?" Though she was blind, she knew he was giving her the evil eye. What a cheeky human! The name almost made her laugh. Slurs did not offend Sofia, unlike her siblings.

She leaned forward, assuming she was next to his ear. His aura radiated humbleness, a sign of his virtue. "Because," Sofia whispered softly so Abaddon couldn't hear, "of the pup you carry in your womb. You don't want to put it at risk, do you? Stay still, and I'll finish before you know it."