Leaving on a Jet Plane

The group stood in front of the tall sliding doors. Emerson shoved it open and shined his flashlight inside. Upon seeing the aircraft, Kieran had trouble believing their luck would turn this good so fast. His entire life had been nothing but bad luck, especially recently, to protect Teru and their unborn pups.

Kieran eyed the private jet that was in suspiciously decent condition, considering the cataclysmic earthquake that had rocked Nashville to dust.

He had flown in several private jets in his lifetime, so he knew this one was an older model. Did it matter, though? It would be faster than the commercial plane they were originally supposed to take and hide with the luggage below.

"It can't be that easy," Blaise said. "What are the chances?"

His brother had the same thought.

Emerson shrugged. "Well, my Prince, maybe you have the heavens on your side."

"Doubt it," he sneered. "Where were they when I had to drag this guy in mud and shit through a tunnel the size of my perfect ass?"

Kieran raised an eyebrow. Blaise hadn't spoken about their rendezvous in the caves until now. The smells made sense. He heard Teru quietly ask Lucas, "What does he mean? Which part were you in? I don't remember that tunnel."

Lucas shook his head, exhausted by Blaise's complaints.

Kieran had questions for their pilot. "Everything is in working order?"

"Yes, Prince. I did not find issues with it."

"Is there enough fuel?"

"Not as full as I would prefer, but I think it's enough to get where we need to go. I'll have to abandon it after we land. It will not be of any use."

It was the most peculiar thing to have a perfectly fine jet waiting for them. Not only that, but it was the sole surviving plane from the Nashville airport. No one had any complaints, though. Like Emerson said, maybe the heavens were with them right now. Hopefully.

"Then shall we prepare to depart, Prince Kieran?"

Kieran nodded and held Teru's hand to guide him closer to the jet. Come to think of it, it was his first time seeing a plane.

His mate's eyes twinkled in awe. "I've only seen these in books. It's big!"

As Emerson went up the stairs, Kieran said, "This is a private jet. It's only meant for a few individuals. There are much larger ones than this."

"Bigger?"

"Way bigger."

"I would like to see one day."

"You shall."

The inside lights switched on, illuminating the cabin. It gave a soft glow around the wide barn. Given the various tools within the space, it was utilized for maintenance. Kieran tried not to worry about that detail.

Emerson came down and bowed. "Please watch your step. Expecting mothers first."

Teru grabbed the handlebar and went up the eight steps. Kieran watched him closely, just in case he tripped. Once inside, he looked at the four leather chairs, two tables, a loveseat couch in the back, a closet for supplies, and a small bathroom. Except for the navy blue checkered carpet, the outdated interior was all beige.

For Teru, it was like he had entered a candy store. His face lit with excitement as he walked around, touching everything. It had been a while since to see that expression, so innocent and pure.

Lucas was also interested. He felt the leather, tapped on the windows, and along his hand along the low ceiling. Blaise didn't care, since he had flown in the best private jets the world had to offer. Rather than grumbling about the puny size or old condition, he never looked away from Lucas. It was like he was waiting for the inevitable...