Final Destination: Part 1

Over the course of the flight, Kieran watched Teru like a hawk. He sat on the floor beside the short sofa, gazing at him tenderly.

He didn't want to leave his side at all. Old instincts as an alpha with a pregnant mate were emerging, becoming stronger and stronger by the day. It honestly worried him, given how he snapped at Blaise and began challenging him for no good reason. Kieran knew he had been too rough with Lucas, too.

All he saw was red when Teru's close friend was touching his stomach.

The protectiveness he felt was physically painful. It constantly made him paranoid that every living thing was going to steal his omega away. He had experienced the torturous feeling of loss after Abaddon did just that; it would never happen again.

Kieran wanted to do everything to help Teru - share pheromones, hunt for his food, provide an adequate area for nesting, and cuddle with him to get rid of his anxieties as a new mother. It was unfortunate because he had no power or money where they were going.

He had been so used to living alone for centuries. All of these thoughts, emotions, and obsessions to this extreme were strange. And he thought he was overprotective before? It made him laugh. Nothing compared to now, and he was positive it would get worse as Teru's stomach grew.

Kieran growled at himself, clawing rips into the leather. A battle was brewing within him. His mind dragged him mentally in several directions:

Pride, who didn't like this desperate behavior. It scolded him to not show weakness.

His inner alpha, which was panicking about anything that could harm Teru and the pups.

The vampire side, since it was in a state of uneasiness with Lucas's condition. It did not want to turn him, mainly because Kieran had never turned anyone before. If he ever had to bite someone into one of his species, he did not want Lucas to be his first. But, he had promised Teru he would put an end to that human's suffering. Blaise did not have enough blood right now to do it, if that was what his fate was going to be.

Kieran lifted his head when Teru began stirring. His omega whimpered. Was he having a nightmare?

He held Teru's hand, hoping the skin-ship would erase the bad dreams. With their unique connection, Kieran could take away the pain temporarily. It could not take away nightmares. Teru unfurrowed his eyebrows and relaxed.

Satisfied he was sleeping peacefully, he laid his head back down on the couch next to Teru. After a while, Kieran did something he never had the desire to do.

He daydreamed, a pastime he always thought was a waste of time for fools.

Kieran fantasized about the future - living in his cabin in the Rocky Mountains with their pack, watching their pups grow up and leave to start their own, and being intimate in ways a destined pair should. There were many things they had not tried yet in bed.

The eldest prince of Avania was happy thinking about these things. He felt pity for the old Kieran, who thought he never needed anyone else. That vampire had always worn the damned unseen mask to cover up his true feelings.

Kieran was forever grateful to find Teru, his mate who altered his life forever.

I guess I have become a fool. I cannot live by myself again.

And when Teru died as an old man, Kieran would go with him. There would not be a point in remaining alive, refusing to end up like Tristan. The world would keep spinning without Pride.

He brushed Teru's black hair away from his closed eyes and studied his serene face. Maybe it was recent experiences that forced Teru to mature, but he seemed...older. His face was more defined, and it wasn't from not eating.