Werewolf Nesting

It had been hours since Teru's body literally exploded into a giant wolf in Kieran's arms. He kept his distance behind the beast barrelling through the forest, thinking about his mate's shift.

You see, Kieran as a soldier faced trauma that would send a human into a lifetime of intense therapy: bombs, plane crashes, being shot at, a war hostage, his own limbs blasting off, watching comrades die, and even stranded at sea once when the enemy submarine torpedoed his ship during the World Wars.

Not once did he ever actually fear for his life.

But when you have a dangerous animal, that was almost your height and triple the weight, suddenly lunging at your face...with deadly rows of teeth...which could kill his species...

You were bound to feel terrified, son of the first vampire or not.

Just a little, though. It gave me a brief shock and nothing more.

Teru was not himself. Nesting had taken over. His sweet, sugary scent was completely sour. Despite the nesting aggression, Teru had surely sensed that Kieran was important and decided not to maul him.

The reason for the attempted chomp to the face was to warn Kieran to let go. Don't even dare touch him.

Since then, he watched Teru from afar, sprinting and taking sharp turns. Animals scattered, including a bear who wanted to avoid the true king of the forest. Leaves rustled violently when Teru dashed past. The ground seemed to shake under his monstrous weight. Yet, his size didn't make a sound; the wind was louder than Teru.

For now, Kieran didn't have to interfere with directing him, as if Teru knew this was the general way to get to Nashville. The zigzagging wasn't a significant issue as long as they didn't veer off. Sometimes, a swarm of locusts buzzed above the tree line, in search of the perfect place to start consuming green plants until bare branches were left.

Abaddon's pests have reached here. They'll cover Avania's entirety within the week.

Another hour passed. Occasionally, Teru would stop and sniff around, leaving trails of saliva. The pauses became more frequent and longer. Kieran could also smell it.

He caught a scent. A herd of deer was here yesterday. They couldn't have gotten far.

Kieran's mouth watered, too. After mutilating himself to blood deprivation in the bunker, he needed to 'restock.'

The wolf ran. Kieran ran.

The wolf stopped. Kieran stopped.

Stop. Run. Stop. Run.

Freeze.

Teru froze, eyes peering ahead without blinking. A target had been spotted. Kieran watched closely. He hunched behind a tree but was ready for any threats that might interfere. Who or what would dare attack the biggest predator, though?

It wasn't every day to witness a werewolf hunt. Even before their 'extinction,' it was a rare sight since strangers couldn't put one foot onto their territory, let alone be close enough to see this event.

One paw forward. Two steps. Pause. Three. Pause. Four.

So, so close, he tiptoed, finger-thick claws padding lightly on the grass. Twenty oblivious deer appeared ahead in an open meadow. All were grazing on freshly grown plants after the long winter. Kieran's inner predator could see why Teru's own carnivore couldn't pass up this opportunity. Most were fat and plump, a normal sight after the humans' downfall. Nature had the chance to regrow. His hearing zoned in on their heartbeats. The two crept slowly without snapping twigs. Luckily, the wind worked with them by blowing their way. The vamp held in a growl, an instinctual sound of excitement. Like how Teru wanted to run with Kieran for fun, Kieran wanted to hunt with Teru for fun, too.