Angry Alpha

[Day 1]

Teru noticed they avoided any major paths and old cement roads. He was told vampires took those routes when traveling through here. Over the years, humans had made their own secret paths by marking the trail with bottles, rusty cans, or plastic ribbons on the trees.

The group was hyped up. The older members were wary because they'd seen crap go down south, while the younger members looked around and enjoyed the new scenery. When they stopped for lunch, the jerky was more tasty than usual. Despite sunset approaching, he wasn't tired at all.

Teru had never been this far before! He took in the sights of new creeks, unfamiliar hilly views, and Nolan approaching the group from the back.

Wait.

Why was Nolan here?

No one else seemed to have noticed their pack leader. Teru stopped with trembling legs after seeing Nolan's furious expression, knowing he was in deep trouble. The others around him noticed his bitter pheromone smell from fear. Similar to how alphas emitted musky pheromones when angry, omegas gave off a bitter scent when scared. They followed Teru's gaze and became confused at Nolan's presence.

Josy spoke up, "Leader! Why are you here?"

"Shut up," he ordered with his alpha tone. It was sharp, full of authority, and reeked of alpha musk to subdue the others. The smell was gross to Teru. It made the others look down, a submissive gesture. Teru held his head up high in defiance, making sure to hold eye contact with Nolan. This ruffled the leader's feathers by showing his teeth.

"Let's go," Nolan growled. "There's not a lot of time."

No one knew what he meant by that. No time for what?

Who freaking cares.

"No."

"I. Said. Go." The command was strong. His inner omega wanted to listen and follow like a good puppy for the dominant alpha. It wanted to please him.

Teru clenched his jaw together. "N-no." Denying the alpha was physically painful to his instincts.

Nolan lurched forward and pulled at Teru's throat with his teeth. The move made him fall to the ground, belly upward. Another submissive gesture. Lucas tried to pull him off the omega, but Nolan snapped at him to back off.

Their leader let go of his throat. Teru coughed. Nolan grabbed onto his nape roughly and forced him up. He started to drag him away from the scavengers.

Teru whimpered for help. Thankfully, his best friend heard. Lucas jumped on Nolan and tried to bite his jugular—not to kill him but as a challenge. Teru's neck was released, and he sank to the ground.

Nolan was about to accept the challenge when he noted everyone watching him with hesitant and fearful faces. Not wanting to cause a scene, he stood up and straightened his clothes. "So you're doing this useless trip?" he seethed.

Teru nodded.

"Expect you and Lucas to face consequences upon your return." He headed back in the direction of the caves. Once he was out of sight, everyone let loose and talked quietly to one another. What the heck was that? Why was he so violent towards Teru? They concluded it must be an alpha wanting to protect his mate.

We're not even mates..., Teru wanted to scream.

Lucas helped Teru to his feet. He eyed the teeth marks on his Adam's apple. "I can lick those for you."

Licking wounds was an alpha thing. It helped heal minor wounds faster.

He put on his outer mask, which had cracked more after having been manhandled like a weak omega. "I'm totally fine. It'll heal in no time." He smiled.