Epsilon

Despite Kieran being as careful as possible, the lightning-speed rush to finish this long journey to Nashville jumbled Teru uncomfortably. The ground was bumpy and uneven thanks to a certain bastard's destructive earthquakes. They would stop to inspect where to cross the wide crevices. Sometimes, Kieran and Blaise could jump over with ease; sometimes they couldn't and had to retrace their steps.

Even a vampire had their limits.

At one point, the ground under Blaise gave way. He tumbled down a newly formed cliff, but not before chucking Lucas to his older brother at the last second. The scream Teru let out echoed as they watched him become mangled in the fall.

By the time Blaise found his way up thanks to Kieran's help, the orange sun was half gone on the horizon. Their goal was to be on that runway before it was dark completely, just to be safe.

But the group had a minor hiccup.

"As my mate says on such occasions, you look like shit," Kieran told his younger sibling.

Blaise spit out a glob of blood and teeth. He growled, "I know very well I am not my best today. You don't need to rub it in." His eyes were black. It was a sign of severe blood loss. He twisted his torso hard and cracked his broken spine into place. "Don't test me, Pride. I'm on the verge of killing everything right now."

Teru looked into his alpha's eyes, which had become red again from self-mutilation during the out-of-season rut. He never wanted to see Kieran's become black, too.

Lucas watched silently and did not give any indication he was worried about Blaise's condition. He just seemed...drained. What was he thinking about? How much pain was he in? Why did he keep stealing troubled glances at Teru?

Teru wanted so badly to talk to his best friend privately - ask him how he was feeling, his thoughts about being in the beginning stages of turning into a vampire, what happened after they were separated, and just chat like how they used to.

Anger about his friend's dilemma boiled in Teru, but he had no time to dwell on it. Kieran suddenly picked up Lucas and hoisted him over his shoulder while carrying Teru in his other arm. This much weight was not an issue for him.

Blaise snarled seeing Lucas being manhandled by another alpha. "Give me that. Don't touch what's mine."

Kieran barred his fangs, eyes gleaming. "You can barely stand with that shattered leg of yours. You got yourself into this mess. Just keep up, Lust."

The aura grew tense. The siblings were on a sin-named basis, meaning they were both royally livid at the other.

Teru rolled his eyes.

Lucas is the one who deserves to be the most upset in all of this, Teru scoffed in his head. Why is he not showing it, though? I thought he'd be tearing everything apart when he learned what Blaise did to keep him 'alive.'

Their group trudged onward. Lucas was a sack of potatoes. Teru wrapped his arms over his belly to support it during the rough landings. Kieran would whisper to him if he was okay each time, to which Teru would say yes.

The ride was the least of their problems.

Everyone paused when they reached the entrance to Nashville. Even Lucas strained his head to see.

This was the place where it all began - being sold to vampires.

It was nothing but rubble, ash, smoke, and chaos.

"What...is that?" Teru asked.

Kieran studied the mini mountain range sprouting from the earth, cracked open in the center of the city. It had split everything apart. Most of the buildings had gone into the dark depths. It was similar to the New York one, but bigger.