Nesting Hunger

Remaining Lucas x Blaise chapter resuming next week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Teru opened his eyes, he felt relieved.

"You went farther than I expected." His voice was groggy.

The sun was barely peaking over the horizon. The landscape was unfamiliar, meaning they were way out of the pack's territory. Kieran had made good time as he slept soundly in his arms. There were no burnt trees, charred remains of animals, and smokey fog that made it difficult to breathe.

Waking up to see his ruined home would have been too much to handle. Yes, it would grow back. Life would return there.

Eventually.

But even when it did, the scars from the earthquakes and fires would be too obvious. It would take a while to accept that everything was different.

Dreams.

Friends.

Home.

Family.

The last one wasn't necessarily bad. He didn't know where Lucas, Mom, or Hina were, but this person who smelled like mint was family now. Plus, don't forget the three little ones that would join them in the future. As long as they had each other, they could build a home and make new dreams.

He'd keep telling himself these things to stay as positive as possible, and look at their situation as a 'the glass is half-full' point of view.

Teru let out a long breath and clutched the green tulip. Its closed green petals were opening in the center, revealing white. It amazed him that the inner petals didn't match. The color contrast was pretty. Renewal. Hopeful beginnings. The meaning of this tulip was lovely.

"Did you think I wouldn't?" Kieran replied, slightly offended.

Such a stereotypical thing to say for Pride.

Teru smiled to himself, wanting to bury his laughing face into Kieran's coat. It was a habit. His grin had nowhere to hide because Kieran wasn't wearing one; just a long-sleeved, tight black shirt that showed the contours of his muscles.

The sunlight hit Teru's face, already bringing a warmth that was hot enough to make clothes cling to sticky skin. Winter was over, much to his dismay. Spring was basically skipped because of Abaddon's climate-changing hellfires.

Teru stretched out his legs and yawned. He smelled a sour scent coming from Kieran. Uh-oh. "Well, it is difficult to say. You might be the first alpha in history to nest like an omega. I wouldn't be surprised if you had started another nesting fit on the way. Your smell is sourer. Sadly for you, there are no socks for you to hide."

I'll never let that slide!

Kieran stopped and put him down on the cracked road, mostly overtaken by plants. It was a highway but no longer used, not even by vampires.

He thought Kieran would give a snark reply; something like, 'how dare you,' and he'd chase after him while they laughed. Wouldn't it be a delight to run together through the forest like pups?

Instead, his expression was concerned. "The nesting scent isn't coming from me."

It took a second to get what he meant. Oh. The smell was coming from Teru.

"Why...am I nesting so much? Because I'm pregnant?"

Kieran gathered him up into a hug, blanketing him in mint. "I believe so."