Die Hard

"You can come out." Kieran held the door open, displaying a room that was much larger than the one Teru was held hostage in. All of that was on the other side and he didn't know it? This whole time?

Teru wanted to go, but...the vampire was way too close to the bedroom door that would lead him there. He slowly inched forward, like a deer that was testing its surroundings for any sudden movements from a nearby threat. His inner omega gave a low growl at the alpha, meaning he wanted more distance between them.

Kieran took multiple steps away. Teru's shoulders relaxed. Much better. He went through the doorway.

He looked all around him. It was huge—tall ceilings that extended high above the second floor with wooden beams running across it, multiple doors with new rooms to explore, unfamiliar electronics, and interesting-looking furniture. He did his best not to get excited at seeing the giant refrigerator.

Teru lifted his head and sniffed the air. It smelled heavily of the dominant alpha. Mint was the only scent he could detect, so Kieran must be the only person living here.

The awe went away. What was this vampire's motive? "Why?"

Kieran, who leaned against the wall while watching him, wasn't expecting such a question. "Why what?"

"Why let me out now? What are you getting at?"

"Can't I do it from the goodness of my heart?"

Teru wanted to roll his eyes. This guy was obviously trying to joke at the situation, reading the mood completely wrong.

Kieran could tell it was a dumb attempt. He walked towards Teru and grabbed his hand. It made his speeding heart jump into his throat. "You were hurting, weren't you?"

So...the vampire did notice his hidden pain? That wasn't something his family nor friends ever did.

The omega was on guard as he was given a tour of the apartment. He learned about the names for each assigned area—the living room, kitchen, entrance, office, and library. The only room he didn't see was the alpha's bedroom.

They stopped in the kitchen again. "I forgot to mention this before, but don't use the stove unless I'm here with you. It's not safe," Kieran warned.

That made him curious about it. Surely it wasn't that dangerous. When he wasn't looking, Teru pressed a button on the oven's front. It beeped. One of the circles ignited with a high flame. The heat almost reached to his face.

Kieran hurriedly switched it off and wildly checked Teru's face for any burns. "I said not to touch it!"

"You said it's fine when you're around," he reminded the apartment's owner.

"Just don't touch. At all," changing his mind. Kieran ushered him quickly out of the kitchen, worried that he would set the whole place on fire.

He brought him over to a glass sliding door. "This is the last place to show you. It's called a balcony. Like the kitchen, please be careful." When Kieran opened it, chilly wind rushed inside, blowing the curtains.

Outside.

Teru carefully tiptoed into the fresh air. Being this high up was dizzying, even with a high ledge to prevent him from falling.

More gusts of wind pushed at him. He inhaled, almost forgetting what this smelled like. It was so refreshing. He gazed at the view with the hundreds of tall buildings against the clear, blue sky. In the distance were the ruins of whatever city it used to be. "It's amazing," saying what was on his mind.

"Hmm, do you think so?"

Teru's cheeks flushed with embarrassment. He wasn't supposed to say that out loud.