Familiar Scents

"Teru...," Kieran whispered harshly with clenched teeth. He threw the duffel bag to the side and gripped Teru's nape fur, yanking him down to the ground. They were now hiding behind a thick row of bushes. If Teru were to rise, they'd be seen for sure.

It was weird how Teru's nesting didn't lash at him for the touching; accepted it actually. Kieran studied him, noting how Teru's sight stayed firmly on the green camouflaged pickup truck. It carried fifteen of Abaddon's soldiers. The vampires were wearing their uniforms. Their looks were rugged, obviously going against the dress code: cut-off sleeves, carvings and graffiti on their rifles, growing facial hair, punk and unkept hairstyles, and an overwhelming scent of blood.

They're rogue. The King is dead. They have no leader. Are they doing as they please and abusing their position over citizens?

One man banged his hand on the side of the truck. It stopped, dust billowing in the air.

"What do you see, Allen?" the driver yelled.

Allen's nostrils flared. "It's not what I see, but smell."

"Smell what?" another asked.

"Shh." Allen jumped out and eyed the trees. He walked slowly. Thinking. Sniffing. Analyzing.

Teru had a deadly stare in his eyes as the vampire walked closer. Kieran tensed.

This soldier, Allen, was a beta. Yet, he had several human scents on his clothes. Some old. Some new. Some alpha. Some beta. Sweat. Pheromones that were not his or anyone's in the group. Male. Female. Kieran had a hunch this group was doing unthinkable acts on every mortal they came across. What scoundrels! This was like the Dark Ages!

I'll have to kill them. We will come across them again on this path. When he sees me, I'll-

"Found it!" Allen cheered. The two held their breaths. He reached into the bush...

...next to them? Not the bush they hid behind?

Allen stood up and held a skunk by the scruff, chucking it at the back of the truck. One of the soldiers caught it in shock. It sprayed its stink in defense. All screamed and scurried out, cursing in sailor language. Allen doubled over, laughing at his prank.

Kieran rolled his eyes.

Idiots. They're idiots!

He pressed his face into Teru's neck, inhaling his pretty brown sugar pheromones that were slowly returning. Nesting would be over soon. "Stay."

And the werewolf stayed.

Kieran extended his nails. He stood, meeting Allen's amused-then-terrified face. He punched through the ruffian's chest and grabbed his heart, squeezing out the red liquid into pulpy juice. Allen was dead.

Though the others gasped and yelled to get their guns, they were too slow. Kieran's mind went blank as he went after each cockroach. Protect my family.

Breaking necks.

Tearing off limbs.

Ripping out their hearts.

Stomping on the organs.

In one minute, fourteen bodies littered the highway. The sun began to congeal the puddles of blood under its heat. The last vampire tripped on a vine and waved his hands to surrender. Kieran was about to pounce on him and plow through his stomach like a bulldozer.

Kieran felt a gentle touch on his forearm. Teru as a human was beside him, naked. He stared at the soldier.

The soldier, a beta, stared back with wide eyes. "Y-you're that omega! The one who started all of this! Everyone-," he stuttered, not finishing the sentence.