Hybrid: Part 1

He's dying. Zander is dying.

These words repeated on an endless loop in Teru's head.

He's dying. Zander is dying. He's dying. Zander is dying.

It was numbing. Who would sing lovely ballads before they slept? What about Zander's dreams of escaping Abaddon's clutches? He had finally achieved it...only to end up like this before even getting a taste of freedom.

Tae-soo barked at Lila and Jacky to go ahead. The two looked at Teru before disappearing to the right, straight into the forest. Tae-soo went after them, stopping before stepping off the crumbling road. He was waiting for the rest to follow him.

"We'll stay here," Blaise said quietly. "Just holler if you need me."

Kieran nodded. The destined pair stayed close behind Tae-soo, leading them to Zander.

There were so many questions. "What exactly happened in the city? Everyone was fine."

"Well," Tae-soo pondered, thinking back, "long story short, we had a hell of a time killing Abaddon's soldiers. It was decades of pent-up energy, all released within the short hour we had. We wanted revenge and tried to get as much of it as possible. Then the earthquakes began. The ground split open. Buildings fell from all sides. Lila and Zander were separated from us. We found them later, with Lila dragging Zander by the scruff. His...legs were crushed by debris. That was when we sensed you leaving the island, feeling our pack leader getting farther and farther. We wanted to keep our promise to stay by, but our pace was slow because of Zander. He tried so hard to run. It wasn't possible. We took turns carrying him until we finally caught up. The pheromones at the lake basically made an easy trail to you guys."

This was devastating to hear. Crushed by falling skyscrapers? Damn it...

A tear threatened to fall down Teru's face. "I don't understand why Zander had to be isolated, though. Why does Kieran need to protect me?"

Teru paused when he walked through an invisible barrier of pheromones. He covered his nose, feeling sick. Kieran was on full alert and moved in front of him. This potency, with the intention in them to seek out an omega to breed, the need to dominate, and Zander's scent...

He wasn't just dying, but dying while in rut. Whether it was a coincidence or not, it was cruel and inhumane to die like this.

"Zander's rut still isn't finished. The green drug Abaddon gave him wore off. It's his first rut in two-ish years not to be influenced by that artificial shit, so I'm guessing his hormones are going wild. Teru, you are our leader, but being an omega puts extra burdens on you when an alpha within the pack goes into their season. It means you have to be extra forceful and strict, to overpower their instincts and make them see you as more than a tool to empty their balls. That's why I asked for Pride to be with you because of the pregnancy. You just never know what he could do. Yet, Zander was relentless to see you after his rut peak. It was his last wish as a human."

Animalistic snarls echoed between the trees. The sound disturbed a flock of small birds resting between the branches, scrambling high to fly away. They went closer. Teru felt dizzier with every step. They were close.

Teru was confused by this wish. "Huh? As a human?" He realized what Tae-soo meant. "Zander wants to be...a vampire?"

"Mhm. I don't necessarily agree. You know my feelings about it. In the end, it's not my decision and Zander isn't being forced. He said he isn't ready to go, that, quote-on-quote, 'I can't die. I need my pack. I want to live, even if I have to become a vampire,'" Tae-soo confirmed. "It was the most emotion I've ever seen coming from him. Zander pushed and pushed to stay alive as we tracked you. He should've been dead by now, but he never gave up. You should have seen the way he fought with himself, the way he argued with the voices in his head. He refused to go into the light. He wants you, the pack leader, to see him as a human one final time, to remember how he was before becoming a bloodsucker like the rest of us."