Missing Person

Blaise could honestly say this was the perfect time to panic.

Why?

One. The tunnel was blocked from going any further. This part had caved in. Hell, he was one of the most powerful vampires on Earth, but even he had his limits. He couldn't punch their way through solid freaking rock to the fresh air above. How far were they, anyway, underground?

Two. This was sometime during day six. It was difficult to tell time by using a puny glow stick only.

Three. His entire torso screamed in agony. The gaping hole was stitching itself slower than a tectonic plate. He hated the feeling of his organs squishing and slipping inside him, finding where they connected and whatnot. This was definitely ranked in the top-fifty worst experiences of his long life.

Four. Blaise's inner vampire was starving. His body shivered. If it weren't for the nasty infection within the helpless mortal in his arms, he would've helped himself to a little taste.

Five. Speaking of Lucas, his wheezing became worse during his fever-induced sleep. The stress took a toll on him. Blaise licked the cut while he slept, temporarily calming the swollenness around his throat. It was inconvenient to constantly lick and walk, but if he could keep Lucas from dying sooner, then fine. There were worse things he put in his mouth before.

Blaise inspected something interesting, though. One section of the cave's wall gave way from the earthquake, revealing a tight passageway only a few body lengths wide. It was untouched by anyone. There were no pheromones and footprints, just as new as the day it formed years and years ago. How odd that no one had discovered the area, even when the caves were frequented by tourists around the world. Oh, well. Who cared about the circumstances? At least it was bone dry, meaning zero floods.

But...

The aura breezing out...

I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

"Hey," Blaise whispered in Lucas's ear.

He didn't wake up. His skin was paler than ever. Hold on, how long had it been for the glow stick to change colors? What was the color order again? Half a day passed this fast? Even Blaise had lost track of time. His mind must have went into autopilot to remain lucid.

"Hello? Lucas," he said louder, shaking him. "Hey!"

Lucas's fingers twitched. A grunt left him. "Hmm?"

Thank heavens. "Look at me."

"Don't...wanna."

Without warning, Blaise kissed him. He didn't care about their chapped lips or unbrushed teeth. It just felt right, like he should do this. His energy felt a little more replenished by the skin-ship. Definitely psychological.

Does he feel it, too?

Lucas moaned and fluttered his eyes open, surprised by the hasty action. "What...was that?"

"What is what?"

"Zapping...when you kissed me."

Zapping? I didn't feel that.

The confusion on Blaise's face answered the question. Lucas didn't push it, knowing the 'zap' was only sensed by him.

Definitely, definitely, psychological.

"I think you should stay awake from now on."

"Because...I'll die if I don't?"

"You won't die."