Paradise

"Are you done biting me?"

Teru stood at the end of the bed, reprimanding the dazed alpha that was lying on it. Earlier, he had no choice but to literally bonk Kieran on the head to make him stop with the markings. The skin there was raw and red from his gnawing session. It took a lot of squirming and convincing to get the clingy vampire out of the bathroom so he could be alone to apply the medicine. Not only did it take a while because he's never inserted a suppository himself, but it was awkward pushing a finger up there when the purpose wasn't for pleasure. There was no slick to make it easier. After it was all said and done, Teru's face was bright red like a raspberry.

Kieran didn't respond. He sat up and abruptly yanked Teru onto the bed, forcing him to be the little spoon. His nose found his scent gland immediately. Teru watched in real time how his vampire fangs retracted into marking mode.

"I said no!" Teru scrunched his nose to show his teeth, a warning sign. He was queasy and wasn't in the mood to let Kieran have his way with his shoulder and nape.

Their eyes met. Kieran's crimson eyes lacked the shininess when Pride was raging inside him. Now, his inner alpha caused them to be glassy and unfocused with a hint of sadness because Teru refused his advances to nibble on the pheromone source.

"Hmm," Teru hummed unsurely with pursed lips, almost wanting to give in to those desperate eyes and say, 'Yes, you can proceed.'

He reached around him to stroke a lock of dark red hair. Its length had become longer after their bodies worked on aligning for two solid months. "Are you sure it's not your season again?"

Teru wiggled his butt. The big spoon-little spoon position gave him easy access to grind against his partner's crotch. He was positive he'd feel a hard shaft press into‌ him, but it was flaccid. The emotions were also confusing to decipher. It was a jumble of possessiveness, anxiety, defense, and desire for attachment. One thing was for sure, this wasn't a rut.

"Why are you like this?"

Kieran's eyes looked away, fixated on the spot where his scent gland was located.

Is it my smell or something?

To see what would happen, Teru shut off everything-his scent, the pheromones, and the invisible, floating sparkles destined mates could see. He wouldn't be able to keep it up for long since he was sick. It wasn't healthy to hold in your pheromones.

The sweetness dissipated. Over the next few minutes, Kieran's fangs returned and the hazy film over his eyes disappeared. The only sound was their synchronizing breaths.

Teru flipped around to face him. His eyes were closed. "Kieran?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you sleeping?"

Kieran gave a small chuckle. "No."

"Do you feel okay?" For once, it was Teru's turn to rain questions upon his mate about his condition.

"I feel more tired than usual. Sometimes Pride depletes my energy. I would normally disappear for a while to recoup, but..."

...but you can't leave your mate behind.

Was that really the root of the problem, though? The pheromones seemed to be the reason for his odd blackout possessiveness. Teru had witnessed him go through a lot-blood loss, challenges, rage, etc., but none of them left him practically incapacitated like he was currently.

"Lilith told me something interesting."

Kieran tensed up. "I see."

He wasn't even going to ask what it was? "She said she's the first vampire."