Hibernation: Part 2

[150 years ago]

Charles calmly observed his state-of-the-art hospital, engulfed in fire and heavy smoke. Cries for help came from the trapped patients inside.

His former sacred space was now a place of tragedy.

Since his birth, Charles was a ruthless vampire because of his sin. Wrath would make him go on rampages. He was responsible for so many wars between the humans from when he wanted to release his pent-up frustrations. He'd kill anything that made him angry; just a simple annoyance or inconvenience would make him destroy everything in his path.

But during one of his outbursts that had created a civil war in France, Charles was captivated by a surgical pioneer, Ambroise Paré, who fixed and repaired wounded humans on the battlefield during the 1500s—it began as a morbid curiosity which ended up rehabilitating his life. He studied with the Frenchman to learn more about bodily dissection and organ functions, helping to develop groundbreaking vaccines and life-saving equipment.

Giving his all into something so meticulous muzzled Wrath by its barbarous jaw. It wasn't easy since patience was his counter, his weakness. And to be a surgeon, you obviously needed to be patient.

Finally, after centuries of hard work, he built his first hospital in Chicago, Illinois. There was a second one underway in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Wrath was at peace, diligently researching why the omega population was decreasing while specializing in their fertility.

At least until Abaddon decided it was time for their takeover, something the doctor was very vocal against. After his loss from challenging that bastard months prior to stop the raids, Charles admitted he wasn't strong enough. Curse his mother for turning that apocalyptic angel into one of their own!

The fire reflected on his glasses. Chicago had fallen. Based on the trajectory of destroyed cities, Indianapolis was next.

"Charles," a familiar voice said beside him. "It's a shame about your hospital."

"Kieran," he responded back, not looking away from his blazing clinic. "You've been laying low for a while. Were you part of this? Part of Abaddon's plan?"

"No. I knew of it, but I didn't participate."

"Hmm, so a bystander then. Doesn't that make you just as guilty?"

They continued to watch the hospital burn. It eventually collapsed in ash.

Charles turned away to walk into the rioting disarray behind them. Vampires were killing his patients and other civilians left and right. The roads and stormwater drains overflowed with blood.

"Where are you going?" Kieran called after him.

Wrath consumed him. He charged at Kieran and grasped the collar of his older brother's shirt with adrenaline-spiked hands.

Charles's eyes were almost black from fury. "You're lucky you loathe our stepfather as much as I do, or I would've challenged you by now, too. I want him dead. I don't care who does it, but I want to see his head on a spike in the ground for everyone to spit at. It's a real shame you don't use Pride anymore. You could've destroyed him before any of this happened. Instead, you watched it all go down, coward."

Charles let go of Kieran and took a big breath to control himself. It wasn't working. Perhaps he could let go for today—it would be well deserved.

He laughed sinisterly, letting Wrath take over. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go release some tension. Maybe go to Hawaii afterwards before the airports are demolished. I don't know."

One by one, the talented doctor ripped out the hearts of all vampires in the vicinity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Present]

"If this treatment towards this omega continues, I will challenge you for him..."

They glared at one another before Charles broke the eye contact and left to see his next patient.

First Envy, then Lust, and now Wrath. How exhausting.

Kieran sat down beside Teru and studied the small nest until he spotted a grungy-looking toy. He picked it up gingerly as if the dirt would rub off on him, too. A dog? Maybe a wolf. It was so ragged that he couldn't tell.

Speaking of dogs, he recalled Teru's elongated teeth during his heat which were now back to normal. He had forgotten to ask Charles if this was normal for a human. Kieran would mention it next time. The physician also suggested providing more nesting items. Is this the sort of thing omegas wanted? Sodden stuffed animals?

Hmmm.

Kieran put it in his coat pocket.

He didn't bother taking the silver ring with the crane design. Humans were actually not allowed to have or carry anything made of this element since it could burn vampires, but Kieran didn't confiscate it—Teru seemed fond of this piece of jewelry.

Kieran brushed away strands of black hair from Teru's serene face. The hair color was slightly gaunt from recent stress. There was a small wheeze with every exhale from his slow, deep breathing. Although he'd put on a few pounds, he was still too skinny for his height.

Signs of bruising were beginning to show from the alpha's roughness. He'd lick those later tonight to make them disappear.

Kieran scolded himself for being a terrible partner. Responsible alphas would make sure their omega was healthy at all times. He needed to push harder to make Teru improve his self-care.

Teru must've sensed him there since he nestled closer to Kieran's wrapped hand. "Mmm," he mumbled in his sleep.

Cute.

Kieran's chest purred, letting the sound act as a background white noise. Never in his life did he imagine he'd be tamed within a few months by a human, especially a special one he had found at an auction house by chance. What would've happened to Teru if Kieran hadn't smelled his blood that night?

Besides the inability to drink blood, is this what it felt like to be a normal vampire without feeling the constant burden of a deadly sin eating him from the inside out?

He wished Teru would wake up.

I'll take off my perfectly fake mask for you, Kieran thought, thinking about how Teru was always putting on a strong front to cover his fear and hesitation. The prince could see through his acting. Can you take off your damaged one for me, too?