Shopping: Part 1

A female employee waited for them in the dark, narrow hallway. It was an emergency exit. Upon seeing another vampire, Teru hid behind Kieran.

Lately, Teru's sense of smell had been more sensitive, if that was even possible. It started to grow keener ever since he experienced his first heat. Things he'd never been able to notice before were apparent now. He sniffed. The woman was a beta, but...

Teru sniffed again. Her partner was an alpha. His scent was earthy, like the muggy air after a rainstorm. They had recently mated. Exchanged blood.

She smiled, brushing her hair behind her ear to suggest she was interested in Kieran. Why was she doing this when she already had a partner? A weird feeling ate at Teru's chest. His inner omega wanted to growl and let it be known he wouldn't hesitate to defend what was his. Watching her attempt to charm him was...

...What was this feeling? Teru suppressed the weird urges.

"My Lord," she greeted. Lord? Just how high up the societal ladder was he?

Actually, it made sense. Teru wanted to smack himself for being so dense. After all, Kieran had an entire floor to himself, had a personal maid and driver, and rented out a busy store just for them to shop alone. His curiosity was sky-high. When they returned later, he was going to ask what Kieran did specifically and his role in the capitol building.

Kieran wasn't moved by her flirtatiousness. "You know why we're here," he snapped.

She was taken aback, not used to being turned down so quickly. "O-of course. Right this way."

After going through a series of doors, she eventually led them to a giant room filled with clothes—it was an ocean of different styles, materials, sparkly jewelry, and even a few new colors that Teru had never seen before. Half of this would be enough to last for generations in his pack.

The best part was how there were no other people in sight.

Kieran gave him a soft push. "Go ahead. Get whatever you want."

This was a lot to take in, especially after seeing those desperate humans at the auction not even fifteen minutes ago. It didn't feel right. "I-I don't really need this stuff."

Kieran was bewildered. "But you barely have anything."

Teru glanced around the large store again. He clutched the ring hidden under his shirt. Although he was feeling guilt for the amount of luck he had for ending up with a vampire like Kieran, the man wasn't going to let Teru leave here unless he chose something, anything. He studied the endless racks of clothes and pointed at an ugly shirt with bananas plastered all over. "Maybe that one? There's a lot of stuff here..."

Kieran acknowledged his uncertainty and beckoned the employee to come forward. "Start with formal wear."

She bowed. "Yes, sir. Understood." The woman gave Teru a fake grin. "Come with me. Let's measure your—"

"No touching," Kieran denied.

The beta vampire was baffled. "S-sir? I need to take his measurements—"

"How long have you been employed at this company?"

"Er, it'll be 91 years next month."

"You've worked here for that long and you can't determine his size without touching him?"

"I-I...," she stuttered, lost for words.

Ah, so that's what this was about. The alpha didn't want anyone else man-handling his partner.

"It's fine," Teru spoke up, his voice cracking from the intense pressure Kieran was giving off. "Let her do her job."

Both vamps looked at him like he grew two heads.