Vanilla

Teru finished styling his hair with gel. He closed the container and double-checked his handy work in the mirror. After Kieran told him he should learn how to do simple things like this himself, Teru had been practicing. It was challenging at first because he didn't like the sticky feeling of the clear goop, but he kept trying until it resembled those models in the fashion magazines.

I guess this is okay.

He reached out for his collar on the counter where he usually placed it after bathing, but his hand found nothing. Oh. There wasn't a collar to wear anymore. It was ash in the fireplace.

And it was liberating.

Would he be okay without it, though? Sure, his hair covered the virtue symbol, but what about the other alphas? Kieran told him his pheromones would notify nearby males he was off the market. Personally, Teru didn't distinguish any change in his scent. Perhaps it was an alpha thing?

Kieran appeared behind him, ready to go. "It looks nice," commenting the hair. He wore his usual formal clothes and a royal blue trench coat with brassy buttons. Teru eyed the coat, preferring it be in his emerald green pheromone color instead.

"What are you wanting?" Kieran asked, feeling his longing. Though they could detect each other's strong emotions, they couldn't read their thoughts.

"N-nothing." Knowing something Kieran wasn't aware about himself gave him a sort of thrill. "Confidential."

Kieran squinted at him, suspicious. "I'll find out, sooner or later."

"Doubt it," the intrepid human asserted and strode past him. He drapped his green beret and heavy coat over his arm. They headed downstairs. Blaise wasn't on the couch or anywhere where they could see him. Teru smelled the air. A trail of vanilla led to the-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kieran also noted his brother's absence. Seriously, he was the one who practically forced them to go to this useless outing, and now he was missing? He was here somewhere, likely snooping around the penthouse because Kieran never let guests in. The notion of secrets dwelling in Pride's home probably tempted Blaise.

"Get your shoes while I go find-Teru?"

Teru wasn't beside him anymore. His clothes he carried from the bedroom were now on Kieran's feet. An aggressive snarl erupted from the nesting fort under the stairs. This wasn't made by him or Blaise. It was higher-pitched than his own vocal range.

It was from his omega.

Kieran hurried there just in time to see the bold-dressed vampire scamper away from the fort's entrance, roughly landing on his butt to flee from the animal inside.

"Christ!" Blaise shouted in surprise, covering his scratched cheek. They were deep enough to draw blood. If he was human, the scraped-out flesh would require stitches. As a healthy vampire, the wounds were already closing. "He's like a demon!"

Kieran bent down to see. Teru sat in a curled ball toward the back, glaring outrage at the intruder. Slivers of gold glowed in his eyes. He hissed to display lengthened canines. The dominant omega had taken over to guard its domain. His violent emotions translated to, How dare he bombard my space with his offensive scent?

This concerned the alpha. Teru had never been so territorial, including his prior nesting modes. He prayed to the stars that Blaise didn't notice the hint of musk in Teru's livid pheromones, a characteristic reserved solely for dominant genders. As of late, only the duo knew. They weren't ready to reveal such a huge secret.

Kieran faced his meddling sibling, who was complaining on the floor about his ruined highlighter. It was his fault. He should've kicked him out earlier! "What did you do? Why were you in his nest?" he fumed, feeling similarly defensive to protect his mate. Kieran stood over the threat and lashed his claws at their face. The pest who almost touched his omega dodged his strike, nails making holes into the new floor.