Nesting Transfer

For any Tapas readers:

15,000 ink goal!

Additional chapters of Blaise and Lucas finding a way out of the caves (2-3 chapters at one time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kieran ignored the searing wound as they listened to the roaring fire on the surface. Despite being a little blood deprived, a simple third-degree burn was nothing but a scratch for him. It would be gone in a few hours.

Out of all the times...

Out of all the fucking times for this to happen when we are on a strict schedule...

Kieran prayed Lucas knew the ins and out of that cave system. Just like how the two of them were trapped in a bomb shelter that dated at least the beginning of the vampire takeover, he and Blaise were stuck in a cold, underground labyrinth. If Kieran and Teru made it in time to meet with their pilot in Nashville, they'd have to leave by themselves if Blaise wasn't in sight!

How long would it take for his brother to see daylight again? What if they were crushed to death within the collapsed tunnels?

Speak for ourselves. When will we be able to open the hatch?

If it wasn't for the sheer coincidence of stepping on the heavy-duty door meant to withstand shell case bombings, that could've been them up there. Given the history of the one-in-a-million miracles since he and Teru met, this was likely another one put in place by the heavens. Even if they had made it to the van or tried to outrun it, the possibilities of making it out were extremely slim.

Kieran noted it while walking to the caves, but the forest floor was piled with fallen trees, broken branches, dried leaves, and an overall lack of pruning. Though the humans probably used dead nature to hide from vampires, it was all pure fuel if a wildfire were to ever break out.

The only thing they could do was wait it out. That could be tomorrow. That could take days. That could take freaking weeks! The latter was more probable since no one was outside fighting the flames!

So many 'if' scenarios. The future was uncertain.

Kieran cursed to himself, marveling at the dire situation-

He sniffed the air.

The curses in his head habitually turned to Gaelic, which occurred whenever he was momentarily speechless. It was rare; he had to be very stumped to forget his English.

There was a sour scent that grew stronger, now potent enough to be detected by anyone who could smell pheromones.

"Kieran," Teru whispered his name worriedly, knowing a nesting fit was coming. His pretty omega was getting better at recognizing his bodily cues.

"I know, little one. I'll watch over you," Kieran assured, putting Teru down to his feet. It was pitch black. They needed light as soon as possible! "There should be a flashlight in your bag."

He rummaged through it until feeling the long handle and clicked the rubber button, dimly illuminating the small space. His heart sank.

It was what you'd picture a two-hundred-year-old underground room: chipping cement walls with a bricklayer behind it, moss creeping between the cracks, mysterious stains on the cold floor, layers upon layers of spider webs, some creaky bunk beds with somewhat new blankets, barrels of water, and stacks of expired cans with questionable contents for food.

This wasn't even a 21st-century bunker. Oh no, it likely dated to World War 2 or earlier! Absolutely not! Not acceptable!

But what made him most concerned was its condition, worse than Kieran expected. The record-breaking earthquakes had split the right wall clean through, spilling soil from the other side. Brown earth slowly trickled in, making a pile below. Not threatening now, but eventually...