Surprise

Teru assumed this was what it felt like to get hit by a moving car, the only reference being the movies they've watched. His body ached in all places imaginable, every nook and cranny, inside and out. He was over this alignment, or whatever it was called when heats and ruts tried to match up.

Days and nights blurred together. Time didn't matter. The waves didn't care if it was one in the morning or while eating his afternoon snack. When it wanted to start, it began no matter what he was doing or where he was located. The same went for Kieran, whose rut eventually gave him a break by providing 'down time,' just like an omega's heat. At first, they went at it like spring rabbits every few hours for weeks. Over time, the period between their spiked hormones to breed grew longer, allowing them to eat, sleep, and bathe. It was feeling more like a duty between alpha and omega than bonding between destined mates.

He didn't know how long it's been since they confined themselves, drunk on each other.

Obnoxiously loud snoring startled Teru. The sound jolted the vampire awake, too. Since sleeping together every night after they sealed their fate, he quickly discovered a funny habit about Kieran-he would sometimes wake himself with his own snores.

"You did it again," Teru said in the dark.

"I told you. I don't snore," Keiran denied and rolled over, draping his arm over Teru's waist. He pecked little kisses at the fresh bite marks on his nape. Within seconds, his breathing slowed, going back to sleep with his lips still against Teru's skin.

Ugh, I wish I could fall asleep that fast.

The tips of Kieran's fangs grazed the marks with every inhale. Oh, and that was another thing. He learned how to alter his canine size at will, but it was only possible when he had the intention to bite Teru's nape. During any other time, his fangs refused to retract and become human-like. This new discovery would fascinate Dr. Charles, as it did not exist in any medical books known to man. Supposedly, they were the second case of a fated pairing between vampire and human, but the first to complete the bond. They had no stories or case studies to reference, so they had to play this by ear and take their time.

Over the next hour, the incoming sunrise turned the room into a dark blue hue. Teru stared at the window with drowsy eyes rimed with insomnia, thinking about the visions he had after declaring Kieran was his destined mate. They felt too real to be made-up fantasies such as the genuine emotions, the calming tickle of Kieran's fingers skimming over his belly, and the physical tiredness of sprinting past the ice-encrusted trees.

The navy blue became purple. A sliver of light peeked through the curtains, making orange rectangles on the wall behind them.

Kieran stirred. "Did you not sleep?" he asked with a husky voice.

"I couldn't. I feel restless for some reason."

He felt the vampire reach behind him and rummage through the side table drawer before placing something cold in Teru's hand. It was a nickel.

"Penny for your thoughts," Kieran breathed into his hair. This quote became an inside joke between them thanks to his demands for coins. Teru smiled and put the nickel aside. It would make a good addition to his nest. There needed to be more stuff. It had to be perfect. For what, he didn't know. Ignoring the need to go to his fort right this second and rearrange again, he flipped around to face his mate. "Before you marked me, did you see anything?"

"See anything? Like what?"

"I'm not sure. Illusions? Hallucinations? I saw us together doing different things."

Understanding flitted across Kieran's face. "Memories. They're memories that have not occurred yet, but they will eventually. No one knows when it'll happen. It could be tomorrow or in ten years. Destined pairs see them when their paths finally cross."