Temptations: Part 1

[Day 7]

Sure, it was bloody hot outside.

And Teru wanted to soak in a bathtub for a freaking long time.

He missed having a bed that smelled like them.

Plus, having a stable life seemed impossible with how many enemies they had.

Yet...

His inner omega was as happy as a clam. Last night, his mate marked him and now he was smothered in mint pheromones. Kieran was right about the shower thing. By morning, the scent hadn't faded at all. His sweet brown sugar pheromones were completely overpowered. It made him feel good and energetic despite the early time.

His body absorbed the scent happily like a sponge. Supposedly, having the father near the expecting mother could help ease pregnancy symptoms. It must be true since Teru was in his best mental condition in months.

They had to hustle with only two days remaining. Kieran carried him. They were on the cracked highway to Nashville. Thankfully, there had not been any more unexpected company like those rogue vampires in the military truck.

Still, both were on edge for any danger. Putting their guard down would not be wise.

As the day moved into lunchtime, Teru struggled with the heat. His baby hairs annoyingly stuck to his face or went into his mouth. He itched to remove his clothes. Sweat was in every crevice. The minty smell could only do so much to cover their body odor. When possible, Kieran would quickly boil water from a river to restock the drinking bottle for him.

If this was spring, what in the world would it be like in summer?

Teru began to feel utterly tired, a 180-degree turn from how he felt strong hours earlier.

His head went limp and thumped on Kieran's chest, which felt cool.

Nice..., he thought sleepily.

"Little one?" Kieran stopped walking, concerned about his sudden lethargy.

Teru groaned, "Hmm?" His eyes drooped. Why was he so drowsy that he could pass out for days?

Kieran pressed his forehead against Teru's to compare temps. He growled at the revelation of what was happening.

"I think this is hibernation."

Hibernation. Right. That fickle thing omegas do when they become dangerously hot and they needed to recoup. The last time was when Kieran entered his rut in the penthouse and bred him silly until Teru reached exhaustion. Unlike then, he wasn't pregnant. He'd eventually wake up on his own, but what would hibernation do to the pups when his organs basically shut down to preserve energy? How would they get nourishment? None of it sounded healthy. Scary, actually.

"You can't hibernate, Teru," Kieran kissed his eyes to make the sleepiness go away.

The cicadas buzzed louder. They were lulling him into slumber. Being still wouldn't do. "Keep going," Teru mumbled and forced his eyelids to squint open. "Please talk to me."

"Alright. Try your best and listen to every word. I will test you on it later."

That was what Kieran did for the next few hours. He kept a constant half-running, half-walking speed. The slight jolts from going up and down the jagged ground helped disturb the oncoming sleep spell that begged his gender to succumb.

Kieran told him several stories of his past. Some were sad. Some were of happier times. Some were from his childhood. Most, though, were about war. The majority of his life was spent fighting battle after battle to pass the time because he had nothing better to do. There was an occasional pop quiz to make Teru aware enough to think and answer.

It was interesting to hear about the hobbies Kieran picked up as society, culture, and technology changed. Teru already knew about the rock music-producing job he once had but learned he was a professional in playing instruments called drums and guitar. Way before that, Kieran didn't mind attending the revenge drama skits during the Renaissance. At one point, he got into astronomy when the telescope was invented.

"I could explore a new place through a tiny lens. It helped my boredom for a while," was what Kieran said. "I'd get on any ship about to set sail just so I could study the different stars and patterns. Whenever I was asked what I was doing, I would explain and share constellation stories from unfamiliar lands. I learned much later that I had been responsible for spreading legends and myths from continent to continent."

"Like a storyteller," Teru murmured.

"I guess I was."

Kieran's way of explaining his tales was easy to follow and painted a vivid image. "You are good at it."

"So I have been told. Unfortunately, it is not something I particularly want to be known for. But for you only, I do not mind."

Teru understood what he meant. If the vampire community learned of his interests and passions, they would have looked down on him for being ridiculous. Kieran wanted his image to remain as the cold, eldest son of Lilith who kept to himself.

That was Pride getting to your head. You are a warm and kind person if you let people in.

There were also stories of his siblings, to help Teru understand why they behaved the way they did:

The finer, tragic details of Tristan and his destined mate.

How Sofia became blind thanks to the challenge with Tristan afterward.

Charles's journey of self-reflection to contain Wrath.

Ashantee's past history of bankrupting countries into nothing because her beauty would sway the ruler into giving her everything she desired.

Koko's general lack of causing trouble, which Kieran was suspicious of sometimes.

The disturbing tale of Blaise going crazy from feeling others' lust 24/7 and the only way he could stay sane was to be dominated by other alphas.

Finally, all seven decided they were tired of the hate and constant hunts on them. If that was the reaction they'd get from humans, then why not quit their jobs? Everyone was done cleaning society. They did not want to be punished any longer. The ungrateful mortals can figure it out themselves when an evil soul hurts and kills people.

Finished. Sayonara. Goodbye.

It was interesting. It was awful to hear of. It was fucked up. It was justifiable why they'd abandon their destiny given to them by the heavens.

The deadly sins suffered a thousand lifetimes. They were considered the bad guys since the day they entered this world despite being born that way. It wasn't like they chose to be born as Pride, Envy, Wrath, Greed, Sloth, Gluttony, and Lust.

Just like how I didn't ask to be an omega.

His heart hurt for them. Their reasons for ignoring or joining the effort to take over the world with Abaddon were to see karma. That was then, though. Had there been enough karma to set things right?

Eventually, Kieran's voice faded out. Teru couldn't stay awake anymore. It was hot. So hot.

Sorry...

"Teru," he heard next to his ear. "Teru! Don't!" A hand gently shook his shoulder.

Shouldn't...sleep...but...